Prologue

"Layne. Stop. Don't go in there!" Safiya screamed, in a motherly tone.

She grabbed my arm and stared into my eyes with a stern grin.

"Saf, let go, I'll be fine. It's just a factory!" I said, with a giggle, as I yanked my arm out of Saf's grasp and clinged to the fence.

"But it's a nuclear...ugh!" Before she could finish, I interrupted. Saf dropped her arms in disbelief.

"Bye, guys. I'll be back in 20 minutes...tops! I just wanna check it out!" Both Safiya and Kristin rolled there eyes and crossed their arms as I reached the top of the fence.

I was already on the other side, now, and looked over my shoulder and waved to my friends. I mouthed "I'll be fine" one more time as I jogged off into the Chernobyl sight, stealthily putting on my hood from my sweater.

It started to rain lightly now, so it was smart for all three of is to bring jackets.

I was too far away to hear my friends anymore, but Kristin loudly cried, "Don't blame us when you get caught!!" I couldn't understand what she said at first. It was muffled.

Safiya and Kristin both turned and started to walk away, when they heard a voice. They stopped, Safiya putting her hand in front of Kristin to stop her.

"What was that?"

"What? I didn't hear anything!"

"HEY! You! You're not supposed to be over there!" Whatever it was, it startled the two girls. They couldn't see anything in the dark woods.

"RUN!! RUN!!" Saf cried.

So, out of instinct, they turned right back around and hopped the fence, running after me, scared out of their minds.

"LAYNE! Keep running Layne, GO!"