Mermaid Folklore

4/29/16
So, the Mer are separated into two groups, mermaids and mermen. Mermen are dominant, and males only. Mermaids are submissive, bear children, and are one of two variants; males and females. In this case, Marco, Armin and Eren are male-variant mermaids. Levi, Connie, Erwin and Jean, for example, are mermen. The Mer mate for life, and are designated 2-3 mates to choose from. They are designated by scent. For example, Jean knew Marco was his mate by smelling the smell he emitted, being vanilla. Since they mate for life, Marco becomes associated with Jean when other Mer smell him, so he's Jean's Marco, and Marco's Jean. If one of them were to die, the widowed Mer wouldn't re-mate. They would lose the will to live, because their mate becomes the center of their life. In very rare cases (extremely rare), the mermaids are mated to other mermaids. This is rare for a reason, as two mermaids cannot reproduce without a merman. The Mer that have seen humans haven't lived to tell the tale, so no one really knows what they look like. Many believe they are smaller and weaker than the Mer, and this is not the case. Female variant mermaids have breasts, and have female vocal cords and body shapes, but otherwise they're the same as the male variant. The male variant mermaids and mermen have gills on their necks and sides of their back. The ladies have gills on the neck and on the bottom of the back. The scales are unique to every Mer, meaning that even if they have the same tail color, it's a slightly different shade, even by a bit. For example, Armin and Petra both have pink tails, but Armin's tail is much, much lighter.
Mermen have different tail shapes, often having fins on the sides. They have scars, usually, from fighting with their podmates. Mermaid life, inside of the pod, is very laid-back, and they're all a family, with older mermaids watching over them. However, merman pods are usually hostile to other pods, and they leave as soon as possible to find mates. Some Mer ignore the call for mates, and stay on their own for many years, such as Hanji and Levi. Potential mates could change during this time.
5/15/16
In extremely extremely rare cases, there could be a female merman variant, which means a female that can impregnate others. They have the fins of a merman, and the build and the gills of a mermaid.
IF THERE ARE ANY QUESTIONS, OR IF YOU ARE WONDERING ABOUT ANYTHING I DIDN'T EXPLAIN, PLEASE COMMENT AND I WILL ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS! ^.^