Getting to Know Each Other

Foster

It turned out that Alex was not even relatively joking about our early morning Unlimited 20 Questions date. Date. I grimaced when the thought of us being together popped into my head. While I had been making the cautious adventure through his window, he had gotten snacks and drinks for the two of us, along with setting up the floor in a fort like circumstance.

Three massive pillows were leaning against his bed and a large comforter had been torn of the bed and sat on the floor. Only the lamp was on to provide dim lighting onto Alex who lie on the blanket drinking out of a can of Coke.

He softly smiled and held up the blanket, motioning for me to sit down next to him. I hesitantly grabbed the other Coke he had set for me and opened it, smiling at the refreshing sizzle sound it made.

"This isn't necessary," I said in between sips.

A sudden snort interrupted my sipping, along with a pinch at my thigh causing me to yelp. "No. I want to cheer you up and I want to know that you don't hate me."

"But I do hate you."

"Exactly."

"I can't believe you are actually going to ask me questions at 3:00 am in the morning," I responded, giving a look towards Alex.

His green eyes flashed with anticipation for our little game, like a child getting candy. "Alright so the rules are, you have to answer the questions unless it is extremely too far past the line. And you have to state the reason behind it. Capiche?"

I giggled a little before answering. "Okay."

Alex cleared his throat before squinting his eyes as if examining me, inside and out. "First question is.....What is your favorite color?"

My laugh exploded from my mouth, my body leaning back and curling up. "Really? That's your first question?"

He looked at me dubiously, eyes showing a puzzled look. "Yeah? Just answer it."

I rolled my eyes but still grinned. "Navy Blue. I like it because it reminds me of the sky and it looks like black but is still blue. Plus, everyone chooses light blue or aqua as a color so darker blues are kind of underrated."

"You suck at giving reasons, Sunshine. Mine is black because it is everything and nothing all at once. It is so underrated just like your boring color choice. Where do you like to shop?" Alex asked.

I smirked a little, noticing how his tan cheeks had managed to turn the color of strawberries that faded down his neck. He may seem dark and depressing, but in reality he is a sunset, beautiful and warm. I shook my head, escaping the daydream before popping another piece of popcorn in my mouth.

"You are being a stalker. But I would say Hot Topic because there are so much more cool outfits and such along with amazing sales rather than Forever 21 which is just a bunch of revealing pastel clothes," I stated in a matter of fact tone.

"Really? I would've taken you as a stereotypical kind of girl. Honestly, that is my favorite store too, if you couldn't tell by the scary black clothes," He responded, handing me a smile. "What's your favorite band?"

I snorted and glanced down at the ripped tank top that hung on my skinny frame. "Obviously Panic! at the Disco. An old friend had made me listen to her music and I heard Nine in the Afternoon and I was hooked. The singer, Brendon Urie, has such a beautiful voice."

Alex once again, gave me a crooked smile. "I think Panic! at the Disco is great even if Brendon is the only member left at this point. I like how meaningful his songs are no matter how he has lost a lot of his friends like Ryan."

At that point, I was no longer listening. Instead my attention had been captured by the one and only other person in the room, himself. When he spoke, his upper teeth bit his bottom lip, leaving two small indentions along with the way his eyes crinkled when he smiled or laughed. The slight showcasing of stubble on his jawline that made him seem so much more mysterious.

I internally screamed at myself, wanting to tear my hair out. Why on Earth was I noticing these things about him?

I sucked in a deep breath when realization struck me like lightning, his green eyes watching me worriedly. "What?" I asked, my voice cracking.

"I said, What is your favorite song ever?"

"Oh....." I replied, my voice becoming soft.

I automatically knew what song I wanted to say but didn't want to embarrass myself in front of him. My dad used to play it on my guitar whenever Matthew, Charlie, or I were sad or angry. He had always said that it was really peaceful and that he had always loved it. After he died, I had never wanted to listen to it again but now I suddenly had the urge to listen to it.

"Somewhere Over the Rainbow and What a Wonderful World specifically by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole," I answered sadly and quietly.

Alex bit his lip again, his shoulders tensing. "You didn't have to tell me, you know? I know you don't trust me."

He knew. 

He knew that there were so many different subjects that correlated with my dad and his death that nobody knew about. Yet, instead of most people who noticed the way I talked about these subjects and avoided it, he pushed further into it, allowing the walls inside of me to break and crumble down.

"I wanted to, Alex," I answered, shivers going down my spine. "I trust you so much more than you know and thank you so much for asking and not avoiding it."

Alex slowly nodded, as if he didn't understand. For a second, I thought I had lost him, freaked him out but before I knew it, his sweet smelling arms were wrapped around me and I was enveloped in his scent. It felt amazing to be safe with him, feeling like nobody would ever hurt me.

"Please tell me what happened when you are ready," He mumbled into the side of my neck.

I slowly nodded before pulling away though I wished for that safe and warm feeling to return. His mouth was parted slightly, sincerity shining brightly in his beautiful eyes.

"Hey Alex?"

"Yeah?"

"Can I please sleep in here?

"Of course."

And I had never slept so well.