Chapter 26

Louis turned his attention back down at the dark and slowly churning water below anxiously.

This was a decision he had to think about before he just dived in.

His hands clenched themselves into fists at his sides.

There were so many pros and cons and possible outcomes that could come back and hit him if he just went on without thinking like he had done back in Ireland.

All noises and sounds around him were now drowned out by the sound of his own inner thoughts.

Steadily, he turned on his heel and began walking toward the other side of the ship.

He could feel the ship gradually moving away from the port, but he kept his stride consistent. With each foot forward, his mind overplayed imagines of his home that he'd missed for such a long time.

His mom, his sisters, his dad, and his friends...

It'd been so long since he'd been in their presence.

He could feel a lump going to his throat as he reached half-way across the deck.

The palace and all of its comforts ranging from his old bed to all of the food he'd been able to eat.

Louis's steps came to a halt as he reached the other side of the still moving ship. His hand grazed over the ledge and he briefly thought of the way he'd be able to toss himself over. He'd just have to grip it and pull his body over the edge... It wouldn't be difficult.

His blue eyes glanced down at the water observantly.

It was a near-black hue and contrasted with the white foam One Direction managed to stir up from its movements forward.

The dreams and feelings of the palace, his family, and everything were closer this time than ever before.

Now, he could finally go back home.

Tightening his hands over the ledge, Louis took a deep breath with a small smile stretching to his lips at the euphoric thoughts that were beginning to cloud his head and he allowed his eyes to close to completely allow the imagines of everything he'd missed since being on One Direction overtake him.

He hefted himself upward until his feet no longer were stationed on the wooden floorboards when suddenly he imagined how good it'd be to return to those wonderful rose gardens out in the back. How great it'd feel to actually sit down under one of the shady trees with Eleanor and just talk over how crazy the past few weeks had been...

Eleanor.

That couldn't happen when he got back because Eleanor wouldn't be there.

He was about to leave Eleanor.

The thought thundered down on him harder than he ever would have figured possible and his arms shook slightly, threatening to drop his suspended feet back to the floor.

Immediately, the prospect of going to get her so they could both make a getaway flashed into his head, but just as quickly as it did his knowledge of his best friend's comfort and stability on the ship hit him.

Even if he got Eleanor, she wouldn't want to go.

But he could not just leave her here.

Eleanor was practically family to him. They'd grown up together. They shared their secrets with one another. She knew more about him than anyone in his blood-family actually did.

Maybe if he let her bring Danielle along... but Danielle wouldn't move without Liam... and Liam wouldn't move without Niall and Zayn... and Zayn wouldn't move without Harry.