Not as Strong as She Thought.

Riley pushed her GameCube controller buttons. She seemed lost in the fray against the evil forces of Ganondorf, Bowser, and King Dee-dee-dee. The stage final destination was her world right now. A soft knock dragged her back to reality, away from the epic battle.

“What?” she snapped peeved at being interrupted. Super Smash Brothers was her favorite game. Riley placed the controller on the coach and looked up to find her mother standing beside the coffee table in the middle of the living room.

The woman exhaled, exasperated. “How many times do I have to tell you before you understand Riley?” Riley’s face hardened and her mouth twitched slightly several times. “You need to get out more. Explore the world and make friends. Do something productive with your free time!” The woman exclaimed. Riley groaned inwardly in annoyance while her mother asserted her point, gesticulating for emphasis. “I’m worried about you sweetie.” her mom concluded gently.

 Riley chewed her bottom lip, her face shedding some of the firmness from a few moments ago. “It’s not like I’ll die from not making friends mom.” she huffed, rolling her eyes slightly.

She didn’t want to make a friend, even if deep down she knew she needed one. Having friends meant that she wasn’t as strong as she thought. It meant she would have to trust and depend on others. Riley felt she couldn’t walk down that path again. Silence filled the room. The only noises being the storm outside and the background music of the game.

After what seemed like an eternity Riley’s mother spoke, “Why not invite Jamie. She seems like well-rounded girl and I’m sure she’d love to hang out with you.”

Riley snorted. “Right mom I’ll invite her. Why didn’t I think of that.”

 “Don’t use that tone with me. I’m being serious here, why can’t she come over?” Riley’s mother shot back.

“Last time she came over she stole one of my notebooks. I’m not trusting her near my stuff. As for the other girls I use to hang out with, they’re history. We fought and drifted apart.” Riley gritted out.  

The lights flickered for a brief moment while the rain outside pounded on the roof of their small house. Mother and daughter stared at each other in a battle of wills.

“You will get up from this coach Riley.” the mother stated adamantly. She stepped over to the Wii console and turned it off.

Riley shot up from the coach in outrage. “Mom seriously, that’s not cool!” she protested.

Riley’s mother shook her head and sent Riley to her room. Outside, the sky kept bawling for a few moments before gradually calming down.