Prologue

Sitting on the stairs, I could hear everything that was going on in the kitchen. There was urgency and fear laced in with the hushed whispers of my parents. I could only just make out my fathers voice.

"We can't just leave them here..."
"Their only children, Blair is only seven..."
"Katherine please..."

I tried to hold back the tears as the voices started to gradually get louder to the point where I couldn't take it anymore. I ran upstairs to my bedroom and shut the door, burrowing myself in a massive pile of blankets and stuffed animals.

This had been going on for weeks. The same routine every night: Me and my three younger brothers would be put to bed at 8pm, my parents would wait a couple of hours, then by midnight they were in the kitchen fighting. And I was always on the stairs listening.

Tonight was different however, it was the first night they talked about leaving.

I stayed buried under her blankets hoping that the night would go by fast. Downstairs became quiet and I peeked my head out, hoping that my mom would come into my room and tell me that everything would be alright. She never came.

Eventually I fell asleep, dreaming of how my family used to be, before the accident.

Till this day, 9 years later, I constantly think back to that night, when I thought everything would stay the same. Then the morning after when I woke up and saw my aunt Helen in the kitchen, I new that I wouldn't be seeing my parents anytime soon.

From then on, I new life wasn't going to be easy. Taking care of three younger boys would not be a piece of cake. I promised myself that day that I would always be there for my little brothers. They mean the world to me and somehow I will make sure they stay safe.

If only I'd of known that with this promise I would lose my freedom.

~~~~

A/N: hey guys!! I know this is short but it's basically just the introduction. I hope you like it and please leave me some feedback as this is my first story :)
Thank you!! Xx
-Hannah