Friday

Friday: One Act Play

                                                                                         May 3, 2011

 Characters

·         Rebecca: an energetic and talkative sophomore college student who has a lot to say until she gets around Kyle whom she has a crush on.

·         Kyle: an attractive yet quiet freshman college student, who is unaware of Rebecca’s crush

·         Drew: the tall and geeky box office manager who is sarcastic, funny yet wise

Setting

            The setting is the same throughout the entire play. Upstage left there is a door leading from offstage. In the center of the stage there is an office with a counter, the gate is pulled down with a sign on it, to the left of the counter there is a small desk with a computer, ticket printer and lamp on top. Behind the counter and desk is a wall with two telephones hanging, a clock and a few posters for plays. Stage left there is a door leading inside the office. Downstage left is a pair of stairs leading offstage to the classrooms and there are track lights hanging above the box office illuminating the office when turned on.

Scene One

The stage is dark yet there is faint pop music playing on the speakers, a spotlight is cast over the upstage left door. As Rebecca enters, the music becomes louder and clearer. She is wearing an orange sweatshirt, white athletic shorts, and tennis shoes. As she fumbles for her keys she is dancing and swinging her vibrant red hair to the music playing from her I-pod headphones. Opening the office door she turns on the lights over the box office, drops her book bag, walks over to desk and grabs the gate key; dancing all along. Then she walks over to the gate, unlocks it and pushes the gate up until she sees the audience, leaving the gate halfway opened.

REBECCA (startled, mouthing): Whoa!

{She hits the button on her I-pod, the music on the speakers stops.)

REBECCA: I didn’t even see you guys there.

{She comes out of the office and stands in front of the stage with her hands on her hips. The spotlight stays focused on the office.}

REBECCA: Let me guess you people are here to take a tour of (exaggerated tone with grand hand gestures) the fabulous, the award-winning, the one and only University of Virginia Department of Drama (throws both hands in the air, smiling).

REBECCA (disappointed tone, drops hands): Well that tour was yesterday. (pause) Yeah they moved it a day earlier because everyone is so busy with tonight’s play. (pause) Didn’t you guys get the email? (laughs) Well, of course not or you wouldn’t be here.  Yeah, they said they sent an email out but you know there’s always (points at crowd) some people  that never check their email.

{She looks around and then moves downstage closer to the audience, the spotlight widens to capture her and the office.}

REBECCA (secretive voice): I personally think the staff took an early break (gestures drinking) you know what I mean? (pause) There’s a lot of stress putting on shows you know, a lot! (claps her hands together) So what do we have here (looks into the crowd by placing hand to her forehead to shade her eyes) Ah! Future waitresses and bartenders. I mean established actors and play writers. (nervous laugh and smile)

{Straightens up and places hands on her hips}

REBECCA: Well, since you all have free tickets to the show  you might as well hang out until the show starts at 8 o’clock. (proudly) My name is Rebecca; I’m a 2nd year Psychology and Foreign Affairs major with a minor in French. (pause)