Chapter VII

Chapter VII:
The Truth Unveiled

"Angels are galaxies, and they put the stars to shame."

Daichi had been pacing around his room for the last thirty minutes. He was mindlessly checking himself in front of the mirror, and a horrified expression crept up on his face.

Why am I here? He mentally asked, slapping his cheeks repeatedly as he sprawled on his bed. He stared at the reflecting surface once more, not a single bruise was in his body.

He opened his window to check outside. It was already dark, and not a single life-form graced the moonlit streets. Didn't I get hit with a ten-wheeler truck? I swear it was real! He tried to convince himself.

He was almost losing his mind when he sat on his bed wide-eyed, running a hand down his face as he huffed. Daichi remembered seeing Sugawara before he passed out, and that's when a peculiar feeling swooped over him.

His gaze caught the glimpse of his old computer. Daichi hastily powered it on before Sugawara could enter his room. With his fingers shaking uncontrollably, it almost took him forever to open his browser and log-in to his Facebook account.

Daichi didn't know what he was doing, but an inner voice told him to do a little background check on his 'friend'. He typed Sugawara's name in the search box, and clicked on the first account that appeared.

What he saw wasn't what he expected. What he saw disturbed him even more.

On Sugawara's wall were messages from his friends five years ago. That's when Daichi realized they had mutual cliques, and they were once teammates.

But that's just the least of what shocked him...

Kageyama Tobio: I don't even know where to get started. You were a great Senpai not just to me, but to everyone in the team. You were one of the greatest role models I have, and I couldn't thank you enough for that. Thank you for all the happy memories, Suga-san.

Shōyō Hinata: I can't believe life deprived you of all the good opportunities at such an early age. I still can't believe that you're gone too soon. My fingers are trembling as I type this message, and tears are falling from my eyes. Thank you very much for being a great mentor, Suga-san. I will always pray for your eternal repose.

Yū Nishinoya: Thank you for being a mother figure to me. I know that I'm such a huge pain in the ass. Sugawara-san I hate you so much for not even saying goodbye! I wanna sulk and be gloomy, but I know that if you were here, you would be telling me to do otherwise. We love you very much, Suga-san. May you rest in peace! We'll take care of Daichi for you.

The list of the friends who posted in Sugawara's wall went on and on. But what caught Daichi's attention the most was his own.

Daichi Sawamura: I don't know what to say, I don't know what to feel. If I would enumerate all the things I love about you, the list would go on forever. I'm feeling numb as of the moment, words are failing me. I don't wanna make this message long, but know that your memories will forever be etched in this heart of mine. Such a beautiful soul gone too soon. I will always remember your bright light and smile. I look forward to seeing you again; until it's time to meet once more, to hold and love one another, as we did all those years ago, when I was your friend and your lover. I love you, my sweet Kōshi.

Daichi's mouth fell agape. His own muscles moved at their will when he stepped away from the computer screen. He's dead? I've known him? Why can't I remember anything about him? He asked himself disbelievingly, as tears brimmed his eyes.

He swung his head to the side when Sugawara entered the room. He had a gleeful look on his face, but it disappeared as soon as it came when he saw Daichi's expression.

Sugawara approached him, but the man flailed his hands at him, telling him to keep his distance. "WHO ARE YOU?!" Daichi snapped, "WHAT ARE YOU?!"

Sugawara heaved a deep sigh. He looked at Daichi with a melancholic face, and he faked a smile. "I knew this day would come."

Confusion stirred within Daichi, but it all disappeared when a bright ray of light overwhelmed the room. It was so bright to the point that it was blinding. Daichi had to cover his eyes with both his hands immediately.

He squinted his sight when the flash of light disappeared. There he saw Sugawara, in another form. He was clad in a bright white cloth, Daichi noticed the ethereal glow around him. Sugawara was smiling at him, like he was the happiest being on earth.

Daichi's mouth fell agape when an angel wing appeared behind Sugawara's left shoulder blade. He was disturbed all the more when it didn't have a pair, it was just one. A bright halo appeared on top of his head, and it took him a short while before he was able to process everything.

Before Daichi could even utter a single word, Sugawara waved his hand, and another flash of blinding light appeared. The angelic visage of Sugawara was the last thing he remembered, before he fell unconscious.