Chapter 13

not too happy with this chapter but oh well..

It was a dark day for all of us. I stood with Mateo held tightly in my arms, my body still shaking slightly at all the events which had happened. My mind kept flashing back to the night, my body refusing to rid itself of the memory. The blood, the gore that was all over the place. Otis had been deformed by those hunters and it sickened me to the very pit of my stomach. I watched the rain fall and it felt like my sadness would never end. I had to be strong. It could have been me or Mateo, but it just ended up being Otis this time.

She had been my rock ever since I got here, and yet I could not even defend her in her last moments. Part of me blamed myself for my lack of action when I saw Otis was in danger and the other part of me tried to believe that nothing could have been done. It was just too dangerous and too late. I realised that my cheeks were wet from the tears which streamed down but could not find it in me to wipe the tears away.

I felt a warmth on my face, looking down to Mateo who now had placed his chubby hands on my cheeks. He pinched my cheeks and his eyebrows were creased in worry as he noticed the wetness. His mouth soon turned into a pout and he also began to cry a little, breaking my heart altogether.

"Anya," Came the voice of Mason. I turned to face him and saw how strong he was trying to be. His face was stripped of all emotion and his eyes looked empty but I still saw his hands trembling. The funeral ceremony had been very dark and emotional. There was a great mourning and yet, an anger that would consume began to rise in the hearts of all who were present. Otis had been the leader of the welfare wing. She took broken wolves under her roof and helped them to find the will to live again. She also contributed a lot to the community and was seen as a leader, a highly admired and respected elder.

"Why is this all happening? Why did she have to die?" I said, my voice coming out more angry than sad.

"There's been some new developments, you might have to sit down for this," He said, guiding me towards a nearby couch. We were far away from the main crowd who were all congregated in one room and sharing memories of their experiences with Otis.

"All these years we've been keeping track of the development of the Hunter Organisation. This had led to an influx of information about their actions and projects. However nothing could have prepared us for this. The Hunter Organisation was originally formed by Adam Goodes, following a negative experience with a werewolf which saw him lose people important to him.

Goodes previously was a regular hunter, but now the opportunity to become a supernatural hunter was extended to him. The Goodes bloodline has kept the organisation going and growing strong for hundreds of generations but this generation has come up with a plan to wipe out at least half of the werewolf population,"

"He called it the Great Massacre, he said that the North would fall," I recalled his chilling words as I he nodded, an angry expression crossing his features for a few seconds.

"The werewolf populace is divided into four main sectors, also representing the four cardinal points of a compass. The North emerged as the most powerful due to their resources and so they are the heart of the werewolf nation. The North however only just took this position as the heart of the nation, because of the fall of the West. The West was ravaged by a disease, a disease so bad that it caused blood to be shed over power. Greed.

The Alpha behind this is somebody called Maximilian Ayres, but nobody has seen his face. He is represented by his uncle Hagan Ayres, and the West is ruled with an iron fist. The packs there are kept under strict orders, and the West has had an embargo placed on it thus disconnecting it from the rest of the Werewolf sphere. We try to monitor the West, but infiltrating it is complex and highly dangerous,"