Her (2)

The two of you are cruising down a dirt road. You wouldn't dare fall asleep now.

"Let me tell you a story." Why is everyone saying that to you.

"It better be a good one," you exclaim, knocking over your bottle of water in your excitement.

"Oh, don't worry. I've got a fantastic one, just for you." She flashes that smile of hers, and you can't help but wonder what you've gotten yourself into. Her eyes shimmer in the moonlight (you've been talking all day) and your hand, which apparently has a mind of its own, smacks the side of the car in anticipation.

She opens her mouth to begin spinning her tale, brushing a few loose golden-brown strands of hair out of her eyes.

"Hey Ringo!" The Voice. You had almost forgotten about it.

"Shut up! I'm busy here," you explain to faux-Ringo.

Her hand travels directly to her mouth, does not pass go, and does not collect $200 as she tries to process this new development. Before she can get a word in edgewise, you burst out, "Um, sorry. That was the voice inside my head. It's literally driving me crazy."

She inhales slowly and lets out a sound quite reminiscent of a squeaking door hinge. "Oh!"

She coughs. Apparently 'door hinge voice' isn't in style anymore. "You mean figuratively, don't you," she continues in a tone much deeper than before.

Your left foot flies out and kicks her seat as you ponder whether you meant 'literally' or 'figuratively.'

"Don't think about it too hard, okay?" You can't tell whether you enjoy her honest smile or her playful smirk more. Actually, why pick one when you can have both? You start composing a mental list of particular faces of hers that you really enjoy.