Chapter Six

Dakota was all jittery. He couldn't stop fidgeting with his hands or with a pen. He kept his leg jiggling for the majority of the day. He was at home, staring at the blank television screen, as if it was the most entertaining thing he had ever seen. The moon hung up, as if it was a person staring at him through his window.

Just as he was about to enter his room, he heard a knock on his door. His heart thumped wildly as he opened it to see Amy wearing a warm sweater. Her hair was held back by a bandanna. She looked like she was ready for anything at all.

"Well? How about exploring New York Amy style?" She smirked.

    *        *        *

He never thought Amy was the type to travel by motorbike. Wind whipped his face, blowing his hair in random directions. His breath was cut short by the thrill of fast riding. Amy always struck him as a gentle and calm girl.

Then they came to a halt. It was near a fast food restaurant. Dakota's heart jumped and his stomach growled. He was hungry.

"Wow. I never thought this was your idea of fun." Dakota nodded, impressed.

"Oh it's not. It's even more intense than this. But I'm taking it easy now." She smirked, leading him inside. Dakota was speechless. She was good in her game. So far, this was pretty good.

As they entered , a wave of cool air which smelled of fries hit them, sending Dakota's hair on one more wild ride before settling on the side looking like it had been windswept. They took a seat near the window which had a view of the street and Amy's deathly black motorbike.

"I though you were hungry. Besides, I haven't eaten a thing." Amy grinned.

The waiter came, looking lively. He wore his usual apron and he had this grin which brightened the diner even more. He wore braces but Dakota could tell his spirit was lively.
*        *         *
The man leaned against the alley wall. He had just left the house as he saw a woman and a man exit a house.

He had to find out what that fool was up to. He sighed and shook his head. Dakota had never been very obedient and he normally forgot all about the task at hand. So he pushed himself off the wall...

*               *                *

As Amy and Dakota laughed, the door swung open and a man came in. That man wore a black hoodie and jeans...perfectly normal attire but Dakota knew there was nothing perfectly normal about him.
The man took a seat in front of them, but his back was facing Dakota.

"Is there something wrong?" Amy asked, smiling.
Dakota didn't want to ruin the moment...

"Nothing's wrong. I'm feeling full. Should we ask for the check?" He grinned, but never took his eyes off the man.

"Sure..." Amy uncertainly said.

"You go ahead and wait outside. I'll pay." He said.

"Oh no you won't. Here." Amy said as she handed Dakota a wad of cash enough to cover a meal for five. Dakota contained his anger.

"Amy. Wait outside. I'll be right there." He said, gritting his teeth.

Amy frowned and slowly walked out. Once Dakota was sure she was out of sight, he lunged at the man and grabbed him by the collar.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Dakota breathed, his knuckles turning white.

"To remind you of your task. Do not get distracted." The man breathed.

"Diego...I doubt Amy could even Hotwire a car let alone hack my goddamn-"She knows how to drive a bike and that sure as hell screams suspicious to me." Diego interrupted.

"How the bloody hell would that affect me?!" Dakota yelled.

The waiter looked at them with a warning look, reaching into a walkie talkie.

"Don't bother." Dakota hissed, and placed the money on the table. His mouth felt dry as he exited the shop.

Wherever he went, Diego would be like his shadow.

"H-hey."

Dakota stopped when he realised he was about to walk past Amy. His temper was still pretty high...and he didn't want to damage the friendship which was building up beautifully.

"Right. Our next plan?" Dakota asked.
"You know, I think I'm not feeling particularly well." Amy said, looking pale.

Shit. Dakota thought. She saw what I did to Diego.
"Amy-"Seriously, Dakota. It's nothing personal." She smiled.

Dakota felt like killing Diego. He needed someone to blame and Diego was a perfect option.

"Are you sure?" He asked. Amy nodded. Just then, the door to the diner opened and Diego walked out, giving Dakota one final glance before disappearing into the shadows.

Like a shadow....

"Let's get out of here." Dakota said.

*                *               *

"Again. I'm really sorry. I don't know what came over me..." Amy sadly said as she stood on Dakota's doorstep.

"Don't worry about it. Your health is definitely more important." Dakota said. He did worry about it. He didn't want Amy to think that he was a dangerous man.

'You are dangerous.' Dakota thought. He suddenly felt queasy. If he hurt Amy in any way...

"Hey, good night." Dakota smiled. He still lingered in the doorway...

"What? Were you expecting a kiss?" Amy smirked. Dakota's cheeks went from plaster pale to beetroot red.

"U-uh-" Dakota was cut off by a gentle kiss on his cheek. Then, Amy turned and left, speeding away on her motorbike.

He remembered Diego.

'That ass. He will pay for what he did... But it's too bad we're close...'

He felt a shiver run down his spine... And he shut the door immediately, thinking of Diego's presence.

Like a shadow...