Sandstorm's Dream (P.1)

• Dedicated to Sandstorm

      The wind rushed through her fur as Sandstorm caught sight of a silhoutted cat in the river. She was at Sunningrocks at on a foggy moon-high. The long, greenleaf grass brushed against her legs as the pale ginger she-cat trotted closer and closer to the river's edge. "Who are you?" she whispered after a long, silent staring. She could make out the cat's shape, and he seemed very puffy, but she could not see any other details. "Who are you?" she called again.The cat came forward, and Sandstorm watched each paw come heavily out of the river. Even as they came close, Sandstorm could not see anything else, nor get his scent. "I am"—he took a pause and Sandstorm gulped—"who I am," he finished, and Sandstorm narrowed her eyes. Who was this mousebrain trying to trick her? "Tell me who you are, now!" she exclaimed suddenly before she could think. Suddenly she felt the urge to leap at the anonymous cat, but her paws were stuck in place. "Sandstorm, listen to me." The cat had sorrow in his tone. "Whatever you do, be brave..." A cloud of mist appeared, and when Sandstorm could open her eyes again, the cat was gone, and she was left with the scuffling of a mouse nearby.

Sandstorm woke up under the owl tree.