Ch. One

Jace POV

          "Hey man!" "Dude, how was your summer?!" "Bro! Jace!" All my friends crowded my navy blue Range Rover. "Hey guys." I hop out and my baby chirps as I lock her up. I sling my bag over my shoulder and walk to the sidewalk. "Hey man, I'm really sorry about your mom.." Mark, my best friend says. He was away in Montana with his grandparents the whole summer. "Thanks man." I say stoically. I walk into the school with my friends. "Damn! Tiffany and her minions are looking good this year!" Damon says biting his lip. "Dude, you know she totally has the clap from that charity case she dated last year." Mark says. Damon looks like a beaten puppy when he says, "Fucking hell, just my luck." We walk up to the registration table to see where our assigned classes and lockers are. "All upstairs classes! Whoo!" Damon shouts. Mark says, "I've got six upstairs and Art I downstairs, then Gym." "I've got 5 upstairs and 2 downstairs, then Alternative Band III." I say. "Well, at least we all have Homeroom together." Damon says, laughing. The bell rings and we head to Mrs. Baldwell's classroom.

          The teacher droned on about keeping up with her papers because she doesn't hand out extras. I zoned out and started heading to my dark place. 

FLASHBACK:                      "jace! come eat dinner!" my mom yells. i yell that i'll be down in a sec. i finish working on the melody for the band's latest piece. it's almost perfect. i shut my laptop and put my drumsticks on my bedside table. then, i walk downstairs to see my mom clutching her stomach and silently screaming. she looked up at me and i saw complete and utter agony in her hazel eyes. "mom!" i run to her and cradle her head in my hands. she cups my face and tears leak out of my eyes. "mom! don't go! please! i can't do this alone!" i'm begging, screaming, pleading on my knees. my mother's eyes go blank and the beautiful golds and blues that i used to look up at every day, went gray. i felt the life in me grow small and disappear, while my resolve to stay hopeful went with it. 

                                                                                END OF FLASHBACK  

          "Jace!" Damon is shaking my arm and staring down at me. I have tears in my eyes, so I slowly look down at my Get To Know Me worksheet. Mark looks at Damon and I sigh. I wipe my face and notice we're the only three left in Mrs. Baldwell's class. "Yeah, sorry. I'm coming."