Chapter 4- Gabrielle

Gabrielle jerks awake. She hears a cry in the distance.

"Help me. Somebody! Help!"

Callisto hears it too and jumps up.

"That's Solan!"

"Impossible. Solan was killed by Hope years ago."

"I guess he's back."

"You stay here Callisto. I'll go check it out."

Gabrielle picks up her sword and heads toward where the sound came from. It doesn't take her long to find a bloody Solan crumpled on the ground, his sword a few inches away, also covered in blood. Solan looks up at Gabrielle.

"Please. Help."

He gasps for air. His self made wound punctured through his lung making it hard for him to breath.

"Who did this to you, Solan?"

"Army. Few miles south."

"My army did this? I'm so sorry Solan. I don't know what to do."

Gabrielle raises her sword as if to strike and kill him. She feels a shiver go through her and loses her breath as if some invisible force hit against her.

"Wait! Please, just do one thing for me. Let me hold my mother's ashes. I want to say goodbye to her."

Gabrielle lays her sword down and pulls Xena's ashes out of the bag she always has on her, even when she sleeps.

"You can hold them but don't open it. I don't want to lose any part of her."

"You need to let go Gabrielle. Only then can you find your way back to the right path."

"Why would I want to go back? Being good got Xena killed and allowed her to break a promise."

"What do you mean, break a promise?"

Gabrielle turns her head, fire in her eyes. Solan can see the hardness of her heart in the expressions on her face.

"She promised me that she would never die on me again. She had a choice of coming back but she chose to leave me."

"All this is hatred and anger toward her isn't it? It isn't trying to avenge her death, its trying to comfort yourself due to her death."

Gabrielle lets out a frustrated scream, yanking the urn holding Xena's ashes from Solan's hands, she throws it as far as she can. The urn breaks, spilling Xena's ashes on the ground.