Prologue

It was a boring day at the New York Institute; or as boring as it could be for the four shadowhunters that were in the training room with their vampire friend. Isabelle Lightwood had finally convinced vampire Simon Lewis to learn some fighting moves so he was better equipped to defend himself. While that duo was in the far corner of the room, Jace Wayland and his parabatai Alec Lightwood had Clarissa Fairchild in the center of the massive room working on their hand to hand combat. Allowing herself to be distracted by the burst of purple light by the entrance of the institute, the red head was flipped over Alec's back resulting in the small girl to land on her own. The two boys continued to spare expecting Clary to get up and join them but the girl kept her eyes glued to the door watching as a brunette girl covered in runes stepped through the portal. Once the parabatai noticed that Clary wasn't jumping to her feet as she usually did, they stopped their sparing and turned their attention to her. "Are you alright, Clary?" Jace asked his girlfriend as he gripped her hands and pulled her back onto her feet, glancing over her body to make sure she didn't have any severe injuries. Rolling her eyes, Clary looked up into Jace's eyes and sighed. "I'm fine, Jace." "Then why did you stay down for so long? Were you trying to get the upper hand?" The eldest Lightwood questioned as he crossed his runed arms over his chest. Once again the red head rolled her eyes but when it came to Alec, Clary found herself doing that a lot. "No, Alec." She huffed, pointing over his shoulder towards the girl headed their way. "I saw her come through a portal."

With Clary's words, the two boys turned around and their intakes of breath could be heard over Simon's whines of pains and Isabelle's laughter. Before anything else could be said, Jace and Alec took off running down the steps of the training room towards the unknown brunette. Clary watched them in confusion and slight annoyance as the brunette's face lit up when she saw the two coming towards her. "Jace!" She shouted, wrapping her arms around the shadowhunter Clary loved. "What's going on, Clary?" Isabelle questioned as she stepped to Clary's side having been distracted by the screams. "Some girl." Clary huffed, motioning towards the brunette who was now wrapped in Alec's arms. "Alec can show affection? Who is that girl?" Simon joked, crossing his arms then wincing. The trio stood in silent for a few seconds but then something seemed to dawn on Isabelle. "Sera!" She exclaimed, racing down the steps only to collide with her brother and the mystery girl who had yet to part. Simon and Clary drifted closer to the training room door to watch as what seemed to be a reunion happened below them. The institute's weapons trainer, Hodge Starkweather made his way over to the friends with a small smile on his face. "Hodge, who is that?" Clary asked, barely taking her eyes off of the girl who was standing too close to Jace for her liking. Letting out a chuckle, the older shadowhunter patted the young Fairchild's shoulder. "That, Clary, is Seraphina Morgenstern; the best female shadowhunter to ever grace our world. She's known those three since they were very young, in fact, Isabelle is her parabatai." Hodge informed Simon and Clary, keeping his eyes on the girl who he hadn't seen in years. "She's also your older sister." After dropping that bomb, Hodge descended the stairs and joined the group without a glance back at the furious young shadowhunter and her terrified best friend. "Y-you have an older sister? Why didn't your mom ever say anything?" Simon stuttered, scared out of his wits by the outraged look on Clary's face. "No clue but she has his last name and I plan on finding out why." The red head hissed, not taking her cold eyes off of her 'sister' who had draped herself on Alec and most importantly, Jace.