Junior Year

Marinettes life has changed in a matter of months. Last year, her dear father had died due to a fire in their families bakery. It was tragic. Her mother took it the hardest. In order for her to keep the family business going she was usually away on work trips, leaving Mari alone to grieve by herself. But a certain boy was always watching. He just wished he had payed closer attention...

Mari POV

I usually wake up late, but today was different. It woke up at 5, it was raining outside. I pushed my long hair out of my face, sat up, and sighed. My arms ached. Saving a city and self harm don't mix. I hated myself for breaking again. For being stupid. But there's no time for that. I texted Alya so she could give me a ride to school and got dressed. It was mid fall, I was almost half way into my junior year. I fished through my closet and pulled out a red sweater with long sleeves and a pair of white jeans with my black vans. I brushed my long hair back into French braid and walked down stairs into the kitchen. 

I saw a note on the kitchen table from mom. "Be back after school, delivering!" ❤️ Mom. I sighed. I loved my mother with all of my heart. But I missed her just as much. I grabbed my sketch book and placed it in my black purse and sat outside on the bakery steps waiting for Alya. I watched the rain fall onto the cobblestone streets as I pulled the sleeves of my sweater over my fists. I shivered as Alyas car finally pulled up. 

I raced across the sidewalk to see her boyfriend Nino sitting in the front seat. I huffed and sat in the back, my sweater slightly damp. 

"Girl you look like ya didn't sleep at all! Ya feeling alright?" Alya asked from the front seat. "Fine. Just tired. Long night I guess. Lots of homework..." I lied. As much as I loved my best friend, I couldn't tell her I was ladybug. It was then I realized I had left Tikki at home. I gave another sigh in frustration and looked out the window on the way to school.

*****

Class after class I couldn't focus. I perked up a bit when I saw Adrien walk in, but then I remember what he and Chloe did to me. 'Breathe in breathe out' I reminded myself to keep me from crying during class. 'Don't you dare let them see you cry'. After Adrein took a seat, he turned back to face Alya  and I. 

"Hey Mari-"

"Shut up." Alya cut him off. I didn't think she had to be rude about it, but I was grateful. I was in no mood to talk to him. I didn't need anymore pain. Adrien stood aback for a moment, then he slowy faced forward and stared at the desk in front of him.

Chloe glared at Alya and I as she plopped down beside Adrien and stroked his bicep. After what happened with Chloe and Adrein, Nino sat in the back of the class with Kim and Juleka. I guess you could say that even the closet friends are the weakest when fighting against each other.

*****

Mari stayed late after school so she could finish her Chemistry homework in the peace and quiet of the school library. She was halfway done when the large doors opened and Adrein walked in, soaking wet.  As much as she hated to see him, she almost laughed at the sight of his hair out of place and his obvious discomfort.

When he looked up to see her, she quickly looked down and started packing her books. She stood up, grabbed her purse and headed toward the door  with her head down until a strong tan arm wrapped around here and pulled her to a halt.

I refused to look up. I couldn't look at him.

"How long is it going to take you to forgive me Marienette? I've told you before it wasn't my fault and I'm-" 

"Sorry?" I interrupted him and looked him dead in the eye. "You left me on the top of the Eiffel Tower, expecting a nice dinner with the boy I liked, and instead I get stood up, and stuck up there for 3 days! And when the police finally got me back down my father was dead! And I could have saved him if you hadn't left me Adrein!" By then I had started pounding on his chest, trying to push him back but he wouldn't budge, only his expression changed to guilt and panic.

"No, Mair it wasn't me Chloe sent you the-" "Don't call me that!" I yelled in his face, taking us both by surprise. Without another word I ran. Fast. Out of the library. On the streets. Through the park. Home. Up the stairs. To my room. I pushed the door open and collapsed on my bed, panting and crying softly as I recovered from my trek. 

I looked up in my mirror above my dresser. I knew I wasn't pretty, if I was, Adrein wouldn't have played that trick on me. Someone would have loved me by now. But no one did. There was a hole in my sweater, and my hair was soaked and falling out of its braid and onto my face. I looked down into my dresser drawer and pulled out my scissors. I rolled up my sleeve and began to cut thin lines across my wrist. One for my stupidity. One for adrien. One for Chloe. One for papa. One for my ugliness. Five for forever alone.

Hey y'all this is my first story. I know it's a little dark in the beginning but that's cuz I'm building the plot line and stuff so yeah love you hope you like it!