Strong Female Characters - Part 2

Simone: I think the core of a good character, or even a good story, is to capitalise on emotion.

Simone: Emotions make things feel real and drawing from your own 'well' is extremely important to me as a writer. I might not have experienced the same things as my characters, but I'll have experienced the core emotions they're feeling.

Maria: One thing that is becoming cliche is writing a female and her friends and here I am GUILTY (we all are), but I'm speaking minor characters. Why is the main character always the wallflower? But her bestie is the hip, young, sexually liberated supermodel?

Lana: I agree Simone. Good and bad emotions can drive actions and make them seem way more realistic. You can pour that energy into the story and it can help smooth out even the worst behavior if you show the motives behind that

Maria: Yes, Simone! Emotion! Especially when writing a STRONG female, because men and women are written differently, and I think that's due to the POV relationship with emotion.

Lana: Maria, I noticed that too!

Simone: Not to be a total bish, but you rarely see like the supermodel gorgeous girl with the wallflower best friend in real life unless the supermodel is super insecure or manipulating the other girl.

Lana: It's like this unspoken rule that the MC CANNOT like men or sex or partying. And, not only that, but she must subconsciously shame her slutty best friend and any other slutty slut women who associate with males, because...reasons!

Maria: (Just secretly, that's why I loved, loved, loved DIRTY LYRICS... just saying)...

Simone: Haha! Me too!!!

Lana: Haha! I loved writing Abby.

Lana: Okay now that we've got our likes and dislikes out there in the open, let's move onto our own writing process for creating female characters and ONE female character that you've written who is close to your heart for whatever reason.

Simone: I hate when characters are specifically written into a story to be slut shamed, though. Like you find in stories where the main male character is a total ho, there's always these random girls with boobs out to here draping themselves all over him and using high pitched giggling noises to communicate — acting like "typical sluts" (I invert that cause what the hell is a typical slut anyway?)

Simone: Oooh, I love this question!

Maria: Oh sheesh... one? I have like 3 women in a 6 book series I can't let go... let me think..

Lana: YES Simone! When in real life I don't know about you guys, but bad boys tend to prey on girls who will put up with their shit and they don't tend to be the flirty, free-spirited girls, but the quite, pretty, wives-in-training girls who are loyal. They tend to juggle those girls around, the type of girls who wouldn't hurt a fly.