Chapter 2: Eddie

Eddie couldn't keep his eyes off of her. Legs that seemed ridiculously long for her short frame and the way she pursed her cherry red lips made his skinny jeans just a little bit tighter. She was rambling about class syllabuses (syllabi? Whatever.) as her face beamed with excitement. Eddie let his mind wander as he watched, imagining all the different things he could do to her on that big wooden desk she was leaning on.

"Fuck." he muttered as he tore his eyes away from her and started to doodle on his notebook. Eddie didn't like to admit it to anyone,but he loved art. He loved the smell of fresh paper and ink as his hand glided across it,drawing whatever his heart desired. It gave him a strange sense of freedom,something that didn't come often with three brothers. Eddie always liked to fly under the radar because there was a smart Styles boy and an all-star Styles boy, and even a fucking popstar Styles boy. Eddie was just a waste of space. But the only thing that never judged him was his pen and his paper.

He was finishing up a rather beautiful doodle of a couple's hands intertwined,one pale and large,while the other was scattered with dark tattoos as the bell rang for class to be dismissed. He was almost to the maths classroom when Aiden Grimshaw came up, a big fake grin stretching across his face.

“So was your summer Eddie? Wasn’t too gay was it, with Marcel being a little faggot and all?” Aiden laughed.

Eddie glared at him “Stop it,Aids.”

“You and him are identical aren’t you? So there is a pretty good chance you’re a cocksucker too huh?” Aiden said as he played with one of Eddie’s bright red curls. He was too close to Eddie and the whole hallway knew it. Eddie could see Marcel and Liam glancing their way as Liam grabbed his books. Perrie and Eleanor were furiously typing away at their phones. Eddie was the center of attention, and not in the good way. “Do you pay Zaynie with a little blowjob every time he snags you the good stuff?”

Eddie couldn’t take it anymore. That was too far. He stands up and grabs a fistful of Aiden’s shirt as Aiden’s face fell and presses him against the lockers “I swear to God if you ever even look at my brother or my friends again I will break your face, you understand you worthless piece of shit?” Aiden nods furiously and Eddie throws him down walking into maths just in time. Zayn was already sitting in the back writing down notes on his crisp clean notebook.

“Barely been in school an hour, and you are already stirring up trouble Edward” Zayn chuckles, not looking up from his notebook.

Eddie pulled out his drawing and pen, “Shut up Malik, I’m not in the mood.” he replies and draws away.

After the bell rang for lunch, Eddie basically ran to the aquatics center. It was a big building with one side made almost completely out of glass so he could see the Olympic-sized pool with the tall diving boards and large sets of bleachers. Diving and swimming were the biggest sports at Holmes Chapel High, so they spared no expenses. But Eddie himself didn’t swim so all he cared about was the private back wall, where Zayn, Louis, and Michael sat. They were already lighting the joints Zayn had brought when Eddie sat down.

“So did you really break Aiden’s face? Or is Eleanor bullshitting me again?” Louis said, his blue eyes sparkling as he let out a perfect smoke ring.

Eddie shook his head. “No,just threatened the shit out of him.” he sighed exhaling his own ring of smoke. “Called Marcie a fag. Zayn too.” A lazy grin spread across his face “Only I can do that.” Zayn punched him in the shoulder, telling him to go fuck himself

Louis laughed “That hurts his feelings, Ed. You know Marce takes everything too seriously. He probably thinks you hate him or somethin.”

Eddie thought it over. Yeah, he could go a little easier on Marcie. After all, he is the baby and Eddie’s twin. They should be closer than they were. “If only he knew what kind of shit I put up with on his behalf. He is a fucking trouble magnet” he muttered, more to himself than to the others. Louis just smiled softly and Zayn took another puff.

“His friend is hot though.” he said lazily,tracing over his Zap! tattoo with his fingertip.

Eddie almost chokes on his joint “Liam? The senior class president?” Louis threw his head back with laughter as Zayn shot them a dirty look.

“What? I like a guy I can have intellectual conversations with.” he shrugged

Louis snorts again “Yeah I’m sure you would have many,many intellectual....conversations” he wiggled his eyebrows

“Oh bugger off.” Zayn groaned “I swear, you guys are making me dumber by the minute.” They spent the next few minutes in silence, letting the smoke fill their lungs and push the cares out of their bodies. That is, until they heard laughter and the sound of punches being thrown.

“Fuckin hell.” Eddie said as he heard it, the unmistakable whimper that told him it was Marcel being beaten. He hopped up and stomped out his joint and took off running, Louis not far behind.

Josh, Aiden, and Sandy were huddled around Marcel, who had folded almost in half on the sidewalk

“St-stop please. I di-didn’t do anything” Marcel muttered as Josh sent another kick into his stomach.

“Jesus fuckin Christ” Eddie growled and walked up to Josh pushing him off of Marcel. “What the hell is your problem man?”

Josh smirked “He’s a fuckin faggot, that’s my problem.” Aiden and Sandy snickered behind him.

Eddie saw red. “I swear to God if you ever touch my brother again, you’re a dead man Devine.” Josh nodded and Eddie let go, only to swing his fist straight into his face.

“Shit!” Josh yelped as blood gushed and Aiden ran to help him up. They both scurried off towards the school as Eddie turned to look at Marcel. Louis had already helped him up and Marcel was leaning heavily on his shoulder.

“He might have a concussion and some bruises, but nothing broken that I can tell.” Louis said as Marcel blinked his eyes slowly. Yep, definitely a concussion, Eddie thought.

Eddie ran a hand through his hair and bit on his lip ring. “Well let’s get him to the car then” he grumbled and took Marcel’s other side.

“Frick” Marcel hissed as Eddie’s hand wrapped around his waist. “I don’t want to miss my other classes, I’ll be behind! I won’t get into Oxford! My life is ruined!” he rambled on sadly, his words slurring together

Louis chuckled “You are too cute Marce.” he said lightly and a blush crept across Marcel’s face. “If its such a big deal, I will get your homework for you okay? You will be out of school for the next couple of days anyway.”

Eddie rolled his eyes as Marcel nodded slowly. “Okay.” his clouded green eyes brightened “So you will visit me? We can read comic books like we used to!” This boy was seriously head over heels for Louis. It was slightly endearing and really annoying.

“Yeah, of course Marce.” Louis said as they approached Eddie’s car. Marcel leaned against the car as Eddie dug his keys out of his pocket and opened the door. Louis slowly laid Marcel down in the back seat and slid in next to him. Eddie was about to slide in the front seat when he heard someone call his name. He turned around to see Toby running towards him.

“Ed! What the hell happened? Josh just came into the nurse’s office with a broken nose and telling everyone that you jumped him.” Toby said, crossing his arms and glaring slightly. “I thought you were going to be different this year. Mum is going to kill you.”

Eddie laughed darkly. “I didn’t jump the son of a bitch.” he pointed to his car. “Our little brother has a concussion and has bruises all over his body. But you wouldn’t know that because you are so goddamn self-centered.” he climbed in his car “Come lecture me when you get a fucking clue.”

He drove off, leaving Toby standing there with his mouth hanging open. “Dude, that was fucking harsh.” Louis said as he patted Marcel’s face trying to keep him awake.

“He has had no idea. All these years of me covering Marcel’s ass and Toby has never had a clue. I just don’t understand him.” Eddie said as he gripped the steering wheel. Louis stared at him. Eddie had never opened up about this before. “I guess he doesn’t understand me either. “ he sighed loudly. “We need Harry back. He will know how to fix this.”