Take Two-Homeward Bound

It's been seven years since I've last been at home. Seven years since I've seen my parents and they have seen me. Five years of last seeing my ex-boyfriend. Yet here I am again. Back home, if you could call it that. Sure looking out the windows of my car I can see the changes with new stores and buildings but do the people here change?

I got a call from my cousin three days ago. "Stace," she said. "You need to come home quick!"

"Why?" I asked, after all its been years. That place stopped being home for me a long time ago.

"Stace, there are things going on that I can't even begin to explain over the phone! Enough time has passed. Whatever happened before is over and done with but right now we need you and so does Adrian."

At the mention of Adrian, Sadie had my full attention. Adrian Prescott. The good guy gone bad. Once a Boy Scout now turned delinquent. The best guy friend a girl could ask for until that day... The day that everything changed. Where lines were crossed and there was no hope of return. Adrian needed me? We haven't spoken in years. Seven to be exact. I wonder what he could possibly need me for? Last words we said to one another were harsh. Our friendship undeniably severed. For these past seven years I've missed the bond that we had. One I could not find with anyone else. I loved him but I wasn't in love with him. For Adrian that wasn't enough. When he came back from serving a tour over seas the "new" him was intense and something I had not prepared for. He wanted the American Dream and I wanted to carpe diem senior year.

"Did he tell you that Sadie, or are you playing matchmaker?"

"Stace, as much as I want the issues with y'all squashed. I'm not trying to matchmake y'all. He's been asking for you and..."

"So why isn't he calling me?"

"We'll, if you'd let me speak you'd know. He's in the hospital....and it doesn't look good. They don't think he's gonna make it."

I froze when she said that. Adrian can't die! We haven't been "friends" in a while but that doesn't mean I wouldn't care whether he lived or died!! I guess Sadie was right. It was time to go home.

"I'm on my way".