Traditions interfering in Islam

The adherence to Islam (as with other religions) varies with the strength of the beliefs of the people. Sometimes culture and traditions interfere with religion or even overshadow the religion. Some people claim that something in their culture or tradition is part of the religion when it is not. Or do things that have no justification in Islam and are prohibited, yet that gets portrayed by others as the tenets of the religion of Islam.

Also, the beliefs and practices of Muslims should not be judged according to the beliefs and the laws of other religions since some lawful practices of one religion can be portrayed by other religion as unlawful or even wrong.

Sometimes a conduct of certain people can be offensive to others and vice versa in spite of the fact that this conduct is not meant to offend others. For example, Islam commands Muslims to lower their eyes when they are talking to people out of respect and honor for the others. This can be offending to other cultures where eye contact is very important when communication.

To live in peace and harmony in this world, one should realize that people were created differently and vary in the colors of their skin, their languages, and in their religions, cultures, and traditions. Some people may be different, but it does not mean that they are bad or evil.