Chapter 1

Alyssa's pov

I was at school. Fifth grade English. Mr. Aldean, my teacher told us we were doing journals today. He said we could write about anything. Tears filled my eyes as I wrote what has been secretly locked away for all of my ten years.

*later that night*

Jason's pov

Being a fifth grade school teacher can be tiring and I'm exhausted after working on all these journals. Miranda, my loving wife of nine years walks downstairs carrying our 3 year old daughter Sierra. "Still grading your class's work?" She asks smiling. I nod and flip to the next one.

My name is Alyssa. I am ten years old. Daddy hits me. Everyday. Daddy drinks too much. Someone help! I'm begging!

My eyes widen in shock. "My God!" I gasp. She closes the fridge and resituates the sleeping toddler. "What's wrong?" "Get a load of this!" I hand her the paper and put a hand to my head, trying to process this. "My Lord! That child! What are we gonna do?" She gasps. "I don't know about you but I'm gonna get to the bottom of this." I say, taking the paper back and putting it in a folder.

*the next day*

I get to school again and as the students file in, I keep an eye on Alyssa. She's definitely timid. And she keeps her stare on the ground. I'm still unsure of how to tackle this situation. I'll think it over and talk with Miranda before making a decision.

Alyssa's pov

I get home after school and daddy is drunk again. I close the door and his head snaps up, making my fear escalate. "Mama?" I whimper worriedly. He chuckles. "Mama has left to get more beer." I shakily back up. When mom leaves that's when daddy gets most violent. I back up and sit down, hiding my head. "Please don't hurt me!" I gasp, freaking out.

Jason's pov

I shoot up in bed with a bad feeling in my gut. "What's wrong?" My wife groggily mumbles. "I don't know..... I've got a bad feeling." I mumble trying to figure it out. I check on Sierra but she's still asleep. "What is it?" I mumble, rubbing my chin. My school folder falls on the floor and Alyssa's journal entry falls out. My eyes go wide, realizing what that nagging feeling is! Alyssa!