Chapter 3

Jason's pov

Miranda was pushing Sierra on the swing at the park while I was finishing grading papers from class. "Daddy!" I smile and look up. "Lookin' good darlin'." I call, standing up. I was about to walk over when I heard crying. I look at the bench further down and am surprised to see Alyssa! I walk over. "Oh man, Mr. Aldean I'm so sorry about my dad!" She gasps. "I'm fine hun but I know you ain't. And I'm not gonna stand around and let him hurt you." She stands up, looking terrified. "How'd you-" "I'm smart like that kiddo." She starts crying and I hug her. "I don't wanna go back!" "Shh, don't you worry. You aren't going back. I won't let it happen ever again." I soothe her as she cries. "You again." My hands stiffen. "Oh no! It's my dad!" She gasps in a panic. I keep Alyssa behind me. "I thought I knocked enough sense into you before." He growls. I narrow my eyes furious and glance at my long time wife. I close my eyes and hold a hand out. She tosses me my cowboy hat with a smile. I smile too. "You're an idiot to think that." I open my eyes again, staring hard at the motherfucker before me. "Cause cowboys don't quit." Makes me think of my dream and how I quit that and became a teacher. I shrug it off and get ready for the fight that's about to ensue. "Let go of the girl and you can walk away without a scratch." He growls. "Sorry pal but my conscience refuses to let me do that." His eye twitched with anger. He runs at me, swinging a fist. I duck. "So we're getting it in quick!" I gasp, swinging my fist and punching him in the stomach. He shoves me and I lose my balance falling on my back. He tackles me, punching me in the face. I try to hold his fist back, gritting my teeth. "What do you get out of hurting that poor little girl?!" "Cause there wasn't anything that anyone would do!" He yells, punching me in the stomach. I groan in pain. What's he talking about?! Sierra starts crying. He punches me in the face again and everything fades to black.

*later*

I open my eyes and see Miranda holding an ice pack to my head. "Alyssa!" I gasp, sitting up, pain shooting through me and a groan coming out. "Ow." I murmur, putting a hand to my head. "Dammit that jerk has her doesn't he?!" "Jason, don't cuss like that in front of Sierra!" She cries. I glare at my lap. "He has her doesn't he?" She nods. I stand up, my head swimming. "You can't. You've got a concussion and internal bleeding." I don't give a shit. That little girl will die at the hands of that madman.

*the next day*

I get to class and several of the kids stare at me shocked and ask what happened. "I got in a fight." I mutter angrily. Alyssa stares down at her lap. Poor kid. I get everyone working then I call Alyssa to my desk. "I don't blame you and I'm not mad at you." I say, gently. "I wish he'd leave you alone!" She whimpers, trying her best not to cry. "I wish the same thing for you sweetheart." The lunch bell rings. "I'm making a parent teacher conference. This bastard is dead." I growl under my breath.

*later*

Alyssa's pov

I terrifiedly hand the letter to dad that Mr. Aldean gave to me. "Parent teacher conference. Is this the same fucker getting in our business?" I sigh and nod. "Good. This time I won't go easy." Neither will he.

Jason's pov

*the next day*

I sit at my desk waiting for Alyssa's psychotic father. I'm gonna get to the bottom of this. The door slams open. Alyssa is shoved to her knees, making me grit my teeth. I stand up furious, the chair falling behind me. No, calm down. "We aren't fighting today. I just wanna talk." I say, trying to keep my voice level. He stands in the doorway. "I don't talk to losers." "Well asshole you're gonna talk to me whether ya wanna or not." I snap helping her up. "Why do you hurt her?! There's no good reason! She's a sweet innocent little girl!" He clenches his fists. He's got a lot of pent up anger. "I'm just doin' what my daddy did to me." My eyes go wide. "What your dad did to you? He abused you! That's not right!" I gasp, shocked. Alyssa cries into her hands. "Don't worry princess, you won't ever get hurt again." I call Miranda and tell her to bring Sierra. She does and hands her to me. "A father is supposed to protect their child. To love them. Not hurt them." Sierra stares at her dad scared. "He's a meanie." She whispers, pointing. "Yes he is." I agree nodding. "Don't you worry though I won't let him near ya." He raises an eyebrow. "See that's what a good dad does so until you learn ya ain't ever gonna see Alyssa again." He's furious but I don't give a shit. The officer I had watching this situation for safety handcuffs him. "Alyssa, you're free." I say, hugging the little girl who sobs. "And you're comin' home with us." "Thank you." I smile and hand Sierra to Miranda. "Let's go home princess." I say, holding Alyssa's hand.