Chpater 1: insects

Flamekit awoke with a start. She looked up at the light shinning through the bramble wall and slowly began to rise.

"Dawn...Dawnkit?" Her sister almost immediately bounded over at the sound of her name. "Always awake. Now get outside I think there's a clan meeting or something."

Flamekit sighed with exhaustion and stalked out. "How come you don't have to go?"
"Because I'm always awake."
"That's not my fault." Her gray sister laughed and drifted off into her dreams.

"Yo Flamekit~" Choaskit called behind her. She turned unamused and gazed at her brother with a disappointed expression. "Yes?"
"I'm gonna get there first!" The sand colored tom ran off ahead of Flamekit snickering.
"I hate you." She said with an austere look and proceeded to walk forward with little thought going through her mind as she looked up at her father, Cloudstar.

"All cats who are old enough to catch their prey, gather under the highrock for a clan meeting!" His rusty voice rang out as cats slowest started to pour in from the bramble thickets of their nests in the woods. Covered by the shadows.

"As you may or may not know, the dam keeping the stream from hitting us is falling apart. Not enough where it would break in any of our lifetimes, but it's still a problem we need to deal with."

His eyes drifted toward a couple of warriors who were making jokes and laughing. The white leader waved his tail for the silence of the two and they stopped embarrassed.

"As I was saying," he continued. "Two-legs are becoming more and more of a problem, they come here every greenleaf and bring their dogs, we can't have them coming here trying to fix the dam if it breaks so I will assign more patrols. As of now, brownpelt and liontail will check on the dam and see what we can do to repair it every other day. I want blackstone to start a patrol with 2 other cats to reinforce the border..."

He continued setting jobs but Flamekit had heard enough. She didn't really care what her father had to say, it didn't concern her and wouldn't change her life in any way. It has started to rain when she finished her thought.

The black she-cat retreated into the nursery where her sister was still sleeping. She saw Choaskit once again looking down on a leaf he had apparently found. There were bite marks on the edges and it had become quiet brown.

"What are you doing?" The amber eyed cat asked. "...I don't really know..." He started not bothering to look up. "I just started looking at this leaf a moon ago. Watched it slowly turn brown from the inside. Wanna see?"

"No I do not want to see. Iv seen brown leaves before." She looks down at her paws. Rain sometimes drizzled inside the entrance making the dirt a little damp.

Tiny insects were scurrying around trying to get away from what seemed like a flood to them but to Flamekit, it seemed like a puddle.