May 30th, 2016

Hi. I'm Quinn. I guess this is my diary now.

I've never kept a diary before. Never had a reason to. Never had the time. But Great-Gramma Bessy got me this as a birthday gift, and told me that I have to write in it as often as possible. And if Great-Gramma Bessy says something, you do it, no questions asked. So here I am.

Gramma Bessy had a very specific idea of what I should and shouldn't write in here. "Tarquinia," she said, "this journal is for you to write down all of your crazy dreams and aspirations, record everything you want to be in this world, so that way when you're old you can look back and be thoroughly disappointed in how your life turned out. Trust me, nothing you can imagine will ever be as unfulfilling as the life you're about to lead." At that point Dad tried to reassure me that my life will be very fulfilling and Great-Gramma Bessy started yelling at Dad for being as ungrateful grandson and Mom started yelling at Great-Gramma Bessy for being a bitch and then a food fight broke out.....let's just say my birthday dinner got very messy very fast. Which is why I'm up here writing all of this. I love my family to death, but my dad's side is just a little bit insane. I was going to escape by going over to Anna's house, but she is at one of her brothers' sports games. And my sister Charlotte left my birthday dinner early to go to the library and study.  I wanted to call Bryan to talk to him but he was busy and it went straight to voicemail. He's been acting strangely lately. Like he's always too busy for me. He didn't even call me or text me today. Don't most boyfriends try to wish their girlfriends a happy 18th birthday? I don't know what I did wrong to make him avoid me like this. Anna, Britt, and Mikey said he's probably just in a mood and that he'll talk things through with me eventually if I give him a bit of space and keep reaching out to see what's bothering him. We've been together for over a year, so they don't see any reason why we can't work through whatever this is.

I should probably go-it sounds like Great-Grandma Bessy finally left and I should go downstairs and start helping Mom and Dad clean up.

Until later,

Quinn