Reset | Azuma x Dying!Reader

The ear-cracking sound of explosion cripples through the air. Enemies fire bombs randomly at each other, citizens cover their heads for protection and dash away whilst the rising soldiers appear out of the blinding smokes with deadly guns in their hands. It's just the beginning before gigantic tanks like titans show up at the city's entranceway.

You paint heavily as you hop through cracks of buildings and the endless corpses, a rifle weight heavily in your hand, as you follow your commander. You've had helped set up the bombs, the only job is to return to the warplane safely.

You hear somebody shouts your name and shifts your attention to the caller. In front of you, the presence waves a hand for you. His tall feature shades out of the gray smoke including his familiar green eyes. You almost crack a smile when you see him. Suddenly, a machine gun rings up and pain quickly rushes through your body all of a sudden. You gasp, breath spurt out of your body leaving painful dry throat.

Your eyes flicker to the man before you. His green eyes widen in panic, mouth gaping wide open in shock as he screams your name, and fingers spread open, trying to close the distance between the two of you.

He quickly runs to your sides, using his arm to avoid the explosions and dodging all the wild bullets shooting randomly around the street. Breathing heavily, he drops down before you, staring in your eyes.

"(Y/n)!" he shouts. Droplets of salty sweat roll down his wet forehead. He notices your bloody hand holding your injured waist, scarlet liquid pouring out of the area nonstop, causing him to grit his teeth in desperation. "H-hold on! I'll get you to Setsu right away!"

He tries to lunge your arm around his shoulder. You can tell that your body is weighing him down. Your legs slowly go numb, unable to stand up nor dragging yourself with him. It's when something clicks in you.

"Azuma," you cough dryly.

The green-haired man immediately snaps his head at you and sees a river of red blood trailing down the size of your cherry lips.

"Leave."

He bites his teeth in pure madness. "Don't say stupid thing! How can I just leave you behind? We still have time if I can help you get to the plane."

You shake your head.

"Shut up! Just listen to me! Come on, move your feet... You still can, can't you?"

Another shake. "Just leave me. I can't go on. The plane is far away. I'll only weigh you down. Setsu is waiting for you."

"Who cares about Setsu anymore?! All I care right now is you! Saving your life!" A sob escapes his lips, so quiet that you almost mistake it for a gasp. "I... (Y/n) I lo-"

You suddenly cough violently, so much so that you have to cover your mouth with your hand as blood spits out, dripping over the cracks of your fingers. Azuma catches his breath and gently lays you down before calling your name, asking you if you're alright. It's a stupid question that he clearly knows the answer. Yet you comply and force out a lie to reassure him,

"Yes, I'm alright, Azuma."

You avert your eyes to him. Although your vision grows blurry, you can still spot the tears welling in his eyes.

"Don't look like that. Come on, smile for me."

You try your best to beam whilst bringing a hand to his cheek which he rapidly takes, pressing your fingertips against his soft skin.

"You know, I'm really scared of dying. W-We had so much to do after this war is over. Going to the beach, finding proper jobs, having children, lots of sons and daughters, no longer holding weapons in our hands, and yet, here I am, in your arms, spouting out nonsense to you. To think that I'd die before you... and I thought men die earlier than women." You laugh halfheartedly. A moment of tense seconds of silence after that are enough to bring tears out of your eyes, even though your smile continues to remain.  "Azuma, I don't want to die."

He can only stay silent, hugging your hand, as he obediently listens to your words.

Your last words.

You take a deep breath and continue, "Promise me that you won't do the Reset because of me, okay? A lot of people did the Reset for their loved ones like Shiro. So don't. Promise me that you will be happy after the war is over without... without...." You pause to cough out another spat a blood. "Without me. Promise me that you will still marry somebody, that you won't live the rest of your life in desolation missing me, okay?"

He nods hesitantly. "I promise."

"And one last thing."

"Anything."

You breathe in deeply and blooms your best smile, bright as the sun and charming as the star. "Can you give me one last kiss?"

Azuma holds his breath and slowly leans in, sealing your lips for a kiss. Softly. Lovingly. Both of you breathe your souls and your love into each other in that kiss.

When he parts away, eyes looking at your sealed lids, his fingers tighten around yours.

It takes a short, heartbreaking moment for him to breathe in the cruel reality. He tries to memorize every part of you, especially your now sleeping face; your relaxed expression, the curve of your blissful smile, your smell.

And then, at last, he's finally able to leave you.