Chapter 1

'Dear Diary,
It has been a few days since mother and father have forced me to leave. I stay at a fine hotel with what money my parents have given me. A week of this and I will  be out of money. I have no other choice but to find a permanent home. My parents moved away, far from this land to a place called America. I knew the time would come but I prayed not so soon.
     Now i am  scrambling to find a job, even if I have not had one before. I have a horse to care for, a beautiful Brumby named Hoss. I need money not only for myself, but for my hors-'
    A knock at my hotel door disturbs the writing in my diary. I stand from the oak wood desk and walk to the door. "Hello, Madame, room service?" A soft voice calls from the other side. I open the door, a middle aged maid stands at my doorway holding a tray of tea and cookies. "I do not remember asking for tea or cookies...." I answer suddenly. "A man at the front desk called for you. He ordered me to deliver this to you. Once you are done, he has asked you to visit with him in the lobby" she requests  and sets the tray down at the table, then hurries  out. I sigh greatly, then look at the tray. A letter lay itself on the tray. "I wonder who this mystery man is...." I thought aloud. I walk  towards the desk, the letter bares a 'Black Lion' stamp at the seam. "Markus....." I growl. "What does he want?" I open the letter, the letter smells of fresh ink and a rich fragrance of cologne. I begin  to read the letter.
'Dear, Kate McCane
    I am most fond to see you once again, after all it has been much to long. I hope you are as well esteemed to see me equally as well. Do come visit me soon, Milady.
                                 Respectfully Love,
                           Lord Markus King'
I roll my eyes. Markus King, better yet Lord Markus King, is the son of Marvin and Florence King. Marvin King is the governor of Kingston a medium sized city near the edge of the Northern Territory of Australia. He is a rich man, with an arrogant son who will soon be heir to the King name.
    I place the letter back and leave the tea and cookies. If I was going to avoid my problems, I would get no where. I wonder to the lobby, maybe he wouldn't even be there. Maybe he has other women to swoon. As I turn the corner, I catch the familiar smirk and stare from Markus. His two usual guards at his side. He stands from his chair and saunters to me. He isn't  a bad looking man either, but his personality earns his reputation. He holds out his hand, "Kate, my beauty has returned to me" he says as he grabs my hand and kisses it. I pull it away quickly. "What is it that you wanted, Markus" I would have  spat his name across the tables if I wasn't a lady. "To see my beautiful rose of course" he smirks. I look towards his guards who were clearly cringing just as much as I. "So Kate, I heard your parents have left Australia. Is that so?" He says and motions me to sit with him. I did as told and sat across from him. "That is a true statement. I don't see why it concerns you though." I shrug politely. "I see you are having to stay here, this is not proper for a lady of your type." He answers back. My body tenses. "It is not proper for you to be bugging a lady of her own business." I shot back. "I'm offering you a place to stay, with me. I could give you all you need, a home, a family, money, and marriage to me of course." He smirks wider. I stand up quickly. "I do not need you to swoon me over, Markus. I have no interest in living in a place such as yours." He stands up with me. "But Kate, your parents will be proud of you. You will have money. A rich man and educated children." I turn to walk away. "No. No, is my answer. I do not want anything to do with you. Nothing. Good day." I walk away, but a hand grabs my shoulder. "If that is what you wish, I have a request to you at least," I stop, waiting for a stupid response, "there is a ranch, in the Northern Territory, Dry Lake. A cattle ranch. I know you have lived on a cattle ranch your entire life. They have an opening. That's where you will get money." He takes his hand away. I breath in deeply. "Thank you.....now I must leave....." I could hear a slight sigh from behind me. At least I had a job, regardless of who gave me the lead......

((Yay! So I hope you enjoy this so far! I hope to update every day or every other day if I have time!!))