Only The Beginning

The light coming from a window beckoned Jase to open his eyes, but because of his eidetic memory of that day, remembering before was enough to never want to open his eyes again.

The day before his fourteenth birthday. It was a happy celebration. His parents had bought a cake, his friends from school showed up, they played games, shared laughs. It was pretty perfect for Jase Jackson. 

He had felt like a normal kid. Finally. Bouncing around different houses, places, countrys, schools, even states because of his.....'talents' as his parents called it, was getting harder and harder for him. He always made mistakes which shed light on his abilities that his parents thought that he should leave quickly before someone found out.

But his parents had made it crystal clear to him. He had thought for all of his life that he was some kind of burden to them because they were having troubles with moving. New jobs, setting up the house as they always did, and basically pretending that they had a new life. 

But no. They had said that he was a gift to them. His whole existence was a miracle. But until the time was right, his abilities would remain a secret.

It was amazing. He finally felt whole after about 11 years of feeling like garbage after he first realized what had happened to him. His friends still didn't know about his secrets. He wasn't sure they'd ever know. But it didn't really matter. They were normal kids having fun and he was a normal kid having fun. There was no mistaking that this was the best day of his life.

But in the middle of all this, when he was watching his friends bouncing on the trampoline his parents had just got for him, thinking about how great it felt, having friends he could count on, having a life, his basically new best friend, Ray Banter, walked over. 

He had been Jase's friend the second he walked into his new school. The boy had been mysterious and alone a lot, but that really didn't bother Jase much. To some people, he had been mysterious and often alone as well. His freckled friend with wavy dark brown hair, who had seemed to be ill a second ago, came over from where he was sitting.

"Make sure to find me there." He whispered.

Jase frowned. "Find you wher-"

He looked back to see that his friend was in his seat on the patio of his medium sized house, holding his stomach as if it still hurt.

But he had just been over beside Jase a second ago. Jase was sure of it. Was he losing his mind? No. He just had to focus on the party. He had no time for hearing things.

But it was in the night. He had said his fair wells to his friends. He had wished his mother and father a good night. And he was asleep.

And it was in the night when he heard the front door slam, and his eyes popped open. There was screaming coming from below him. His mother. His father.

He knew he shouldn't. It was too risky. He should get in the hiding spot. He'd be safe. But what about his parents?

He raced down the stairs to see that soldiers were piling into his living room, restraining his mother and father.

Then one of the soldiers that wore all black with a metal black helmet, holding an M16, spotted him.

He raced back up the stairs, shutting his room and locking it. His parents had told him to train for this moment. When some organization would find him and try to take him with forceful intentions. But instead of letting him handle the problem, they said to use none of his abilities. It would only tell them that he had them. That way, he could use this information of his potential to show the organization that they had no proof of his powers and that he had the right to go free.

But if they were going after him, that would mean that they knew what he had, wouldn't it?

Jase was about to start barricading the door, but he was too slow. The man that had seen him burst open the door. Jase was too stunned to do anything. The man firmly struck him with the stock of his gun.

The last thing Jase saw on his way to unconsciousness was his family portrait as his head hit the floor and his vision blurred, as he was taken away from the family he loved.

Jase still felt the stinging sensation on his jaw as he lay on a bed.

That was one sign that what had happened before was real. And another. He could see light. Light from a window. He didn't have a window in his room.