Chapter 32

Chapter Thirty-two 

Ray Reid made a magnanimous gesture with his hand and told the waitress, "Drinks for everyone, including you, the bartender and that guy over there at the end of the bar, whoever he is."

Sandy ordered a beer. Kagan supposed that considering his stomach, he'd better just have tonic water. "So that's Martinis for Tammy and me. Meg?"

Meg hesitated and then said, "Sure, but I can stay for just one. I'm speaking at an investment seminar in Geneva next week and must prepare. Ray, you talked about the magnificent museums in Milan; I need to stop there on the way back. Next time you must go with me. I can use some help tomorrow on my presentation, if you want to lend a hand, I'd like that."

"Absolutely, Meg, I'd love it. Tomorrow is the first full day of the rest of my freedom."

"If you're free tonight we could talk about it," Meg added.

"Oh, sorry, I already have plans tonight. Tammy is fixing me dinner." He felt a sharp kick under the table. He knew it was Sandy. He added, "But... I'd really like to get together and spend time with you tomorrow, I'll call you."

Sandy said, "We all need to thank you, Meg. You were very helpful, and you stood by Raymond from that first dark day."

When she saw Linda come in, Sandy got up and walked over. In a low voice she asked, "What happened, Linda, do you still have a job?"

"Yes, and thanks to you, I'll probably keep it. Moran called my editor and informed him of Ray's release. Moran still didn't realize the paper never intended to print any of your material anyway. The editor just said fine, unaware I'd lied to Moran that it would be printed."

"Let's hope the real killer is caught before he wises up and your lie becomes an issue. I broke my rule against dating cops. Chip's taking me to dinner tomorrow night; out of town where we won't be bothered. How sweet is that? I need to buy a little black dress somewhere."

"Oh my God, you in a little black dress. Why don't you just hit him with a sledge hammer and save the money?"

"I'll let you know if we start sharing a toothbrush."

Everyone scooted around the table to make room for Linda. "Hey guys, you won't believe why I'm late," she said. "The paper got a call from a girl who read about Sandy accusing Huress of assault. The girl hid the clipping in her drawer and kept looking at it, because some cop in a red pickup pulled the same routine on her and succeeded. He told her he knew where she lived and to keep quiet, or he'd come around for seconds. After that, she avoided being seen in public, and got the shakes whenever she saw a cop car or a red pickup. Every day when she looked at the clipping the whole nightmare would come back. Eventually, she got up the nerve to phone the paper. She's embarrassed, but wants to bring charges like the woman in the paper did."

"The slimy bastard, how old is she?" Sandy asked.

"Eighteen now but underage when it happened. Here's the kicker. She has a classmate who said it happened to her too. My boss is meeting with both parents tonight. The paper will pay for their attorneys."

"Let's hope those were the only incidents," Meg said. "That means Huress is done for. Sandy, it took nerve for you to come forward with that accusation."

"I'll get my chance to slice him up from the witness stand after all."

Kagan said, "Your testimony... the testimony of an adult... will tie the ribbons on the entire case. He'll go to prison."

"I hope that's the end of it," Sandy said. "He'll come out of prison tagged a sexual offender. If he ever comes near me again, he'll go back to jail."

Meg said, "So, Sandy, I guess you're eager to get back to Philadelphia."

"Yes, I'm flying back tomorrow-."

Ray said, "Well, I can't thank you enough. I'm going to miss you." He reached across the table for her hand and held it for a moment. "I'll come visit you, if it's all right. And if the charges against me ever get dismissed."

"...you didn't let me finish. And then I'm driving back here so I can give my new brother a ride in my new convertible." She locked eyes with Raymond. "I want to spend some time with him. We've lots of catching up to do, now that I'm a sister again."

Ray was delighted. "Why don't you look for a law school down here? Consider your tuition paid; you borrow the money, and I'll make the payments."

"I want to give proper notice up there and clean up some loose ends. Like a certain guy who has to move out or take over my lease. He won't be happy. Anyway, it'll take a while to have my new MX-5 delivered. I'll need an apartment down here. I can't afford much."

"Rents are high," Tammy said. "My place has two bedrooms. If necessary, you can stay with me until I find a nice place for you."

"Sorry to spoil your merriment here, but you're talking as if the show's over." Kagan was serious. "Ray remains under arrest, and unless the real killer gets caught the possibility remains we still might have to go to trial. Things can easily go wrong in a murder trial."

"I know, and I'll get back on it when I return. Not to worry," Sandy said. "Chip will get the bad guy. He and I already have an idea who the killer is."

"Our thanks to you, Jerry. You were right in there and did all you were supposed to do," Ray said.

"If they drop the charges, then I think I'll keep my office open for a few more years," Kagan said. "I've been feeling better lately. The phone has started ringing again. I was invited to speak at a Rotary Club luncheon, how about that? Sandy, I have an unused desk, if you want some work, or just need somewhere to spread out and study for the bar exam. I could use the help and you're definitely welcome in my office."

An hour later, the drinks were finished and the chatter quieted. Meg and Kagan left. As Tammy and Ray were leaving Sandy said, "Come in quietly tonight, Raymond, and remember I'm taking your bedroom. You've got the couch."

"I can't wait to sleep on my old couch."

"And I don't do breakfast." Then Sandy stood and said, "Linda, let's go check out that special bar of yours for a couple of hours, I want to watch you dance."

"Let's go-you bring me luck. I just might hook up with Miss Right. You're not the only Coca Cola in the desert, you know. And I need to ask you, do my dark eyes really flash?"