CHAPTER TWO.

DOLLHOUSE.

Avery sighed visibly into the mirror.

The washroom smelt damp and musty and she could her the noises of the train hitting the rails at high speed under neath her.

A girl with an annoyingly chipper salmon coloured hair and jade opaque eyes stared back at her.

When the day was done she had to dye it green - to match her leafy orbs.

Avery bent down and wiped her unnecessarily sweaty hands down her only pair of ripped blue jeans.

Avery had picked her best, an only store bought, outfit to wear to look around her new academy - fairly good blue jeans, a blue and white striped tee, brown worn boots and a pink bomber jacket - for obvious reasons.

But she was already having her doubts - despite traveling to the center of the angel's city what else did this surprisingly free academy have to offer?

Los Angeles was Avery's dream land - the place she'd been fascinated to wander too.

'Wanderlust', her father had called it, smiling. A strong or irresistible impulse to travel.

Avery smiled now, her face warping and changing with the movement of muscles.

But slicing the mirror in half, was a large crack - which twisted her features into something else entirely.

Avery's joy slid off her face and she threw herself out of the sliding door-

And almost tumbled down with a young women - her blonde hair sheared up to her head - her eyes grey and steely.

She gave Avery an odd look - muttered an excuse me and slid past her.

The woman smelled strongly like cigarettes and smoke and Avery wrinkled her nose as she sat down on one of the soft plush chairs.

She leaned her pastel head against the glass and looked out into the distance.

It was late afternoon - the most beautiful time of day as her mother said once before she was an addict who couldn't keep herself of jail.

She remembered her mother, her father and herself - the picture of a perfect family, before the faux walls fell away and they were exposed to the truth.

They were lying on their backs on the dry green grass, staring lazily into the sky as the pureness of the clouds mixed with the fluorescent colors of dusk.

"Doesn't that look like a duck, Aves?", my mother said - her sepia eyes clear of the alcohol and uncertainty that would appear in months.

The noise of someone sitting next to Avery, snapped her out off her blissful reverie.

"You alright?", the lady who smelled of cigarettes murmured towards her - observing Avery closely like she was a lab rat.

"Fine."

Avery had barely noticed her cheeks were dripping with salty tears.

She wiped them away hastily and spun around to face the steaming window.

The train stopped abruptly - and Avery stumbled up as if she was in a sick trance.

Her legs felt like bags if water as she hurried off the train.

Her chest had began to tighten inside the train and she breathed in heavily - the fog clearing rapidly.

Avery looked up and saw the train sign - Phoenix Street.

She grinned.