Chapter 1

10 Days Ago

"Emma. You've been out here in the cold for about an hour. And you're not even wearing a jacket!" Emma's mom walked slowly while crossing her arms, her dark hair flowing gracefully behind her covered in small white dots.

"I'm fine. I like it out here." Emma rolled her eyes, and squished the piece of snow she was holding. She opened up her hand and watched the small pieces fall to the ground.

"You always have. My gosh, when you were little, I couldn't get you to come inside. You would scream and ask for a few more minutes. Then I would come back, and you asked for more. I always had to have your dad help me pull you away from your snow creations." Emma's mom laughed while shivering.

"Let me guess. Snowmen? Snow angels?" Emma asked.

"Yes, but not just that. Snow castles, forts, and all kinds of pictures on the ground. Lily plays with it too, but not like you did. You should come in soon. I don't want you to get sick. I'm freezing, ill see you inside." Mary walked back towards the house.

"Mom, I always stay out here, and never get sick!" Emma yelled. She loved living in these mountains, where it was always snowy and cool. She couldn't stand the hot. About a few miles away, the main town in Brightendale was always warm and humid. She loved being apart from all the busy streets and commotion.

She twisted her mood ring, with a crystal band, and some simple white dashes. She removed it and placed it on top of the wooden gate, where she used the edge of her sleeve to wipe off some snow.

"Emma! Your hot cocoa is getting cold. If you don't drink it I will." Her little sister, Lily, ran out and tugged on her arm.

"Okay I'm coming!" Emma said while picking her up. She didn't notice that she had forgot her ring, and that it sank deep into the snow below.