BLUE CHRISTMAS

It was Christmas Eve at the house condominium of Andrea and her little sister Meg.  A night full of happiness for everyone celebrating Christmas. A night where Andrea expects something from Edward, an 8 year old promise told by him.  A promise of a lifetime commitment. This is a story that will allow you to ponder what weighs more? COMMITMENT or OBLIGATION?

Andrea and Meg singing Merry Christmas under the Christmas Tree.

ANDREA/MEG: “We wish you a merry Christmas, We wish you a merry Christmas and a happy new year!

MEG: Merry Christmas ate Andrea! (hug)

ANDREA: Merry Christmas, too, Meg! You know Meg, I have a gift for you.

MEG: Really ate? Where?

ANDREA: Find it under the Christmas tree.

MEG: (Checking the gifts under the Christmas Tree) Here ate I found it! Uhm... But ate, why are there lots of gifts here? And... and... they are not for me?

ANDREA: Oh, Meg I’m sorry I forgot to tell you. We will have visitors later!

MEG: Really ate? Who are they?

ANDREA: My best friends! You can see their names on the gifts.

MEG: Okay. I will take a look at their names... Uhm... This gift is for ate Glenda... ate Glenda? I think I know her.

ANDREA: Yeah, you really know her. Can’t you remember?

MEG: Ah... Ate Glenda! The one who always gives me lollipop! Uhm... This second gift is for.. Kuya Edward...

                Ah,, kuya Edward! Kuya Edward yung Syota mo!

ANDREA: No Meg, don’t use the word Syota, it’s boyfriend.

MEG: OKay. Boyfriend...And this one is for... Merriam... Ate Merriam... Ate, I think I don’t know her?

ANDREA: I knew you would ask Meg. You haven’t met her yet. I still don’t have any news about her. She just disappeared. It’s been 5 years since she last celebrated Christmas with the Barkada.

MEG: Is she coming tonight ate?

ANDREA: I am not sure if she’ll come Meg.

MEG: You are not sure ate? But what is the purpose of putting gift for her under the Christmas tree if you are not sure if she’ll come ate?

ANDREA: You know Meg, it is for the reason that I believe in Christmas. I know Christmas will create miracle. So eventhough I am not sure if she’ll come. I am still preparing gifts for her.

MEG: Ah.. okay.. So that’s it... But you know ate... I miss mama and papa...

ANDREA: Why? Did you remember something?

MEG: Yes ate... I miss mama and papa so much. Before, when they were still alive. We always gather here in front of the Christmas tree. Singing Christmas songs, exchanging gifts, eating together, playing games... The same time as now we were doing those before. I wish mama and papa were still here...

(Meg will notice her ate Andrea looking from afar)

MEG: Ate? Ate? Ate Andrea?

ANDREA: I’m sorry Meg. Me too. I miss them so much. But you know... Eventhough mama and papa were not here with us. We still have each other right? Look? You have plenty of gifts from me.

MEG: Thank you ate!

(doorbell)

MEG: Ate? I think it’s them!