One

"Swear to me. Swear to me that everything you said about the fireflies is true."

"I swear."

ONE YEAR LATER

"Come on Joel! You can't tell me you're gonna lose to a girl." Gasped Ellie as she brushed past Joel, fast enough to leave tracers.

"I ain't gonna lose, kid. You just wait."
Joel moved quicker now, vaulting over crates and boxes with Ellie in his sights, determined to outrun her. He breathed heavily, pushing harder and gaining speed with each breath.

"Hah! Don't get your hopes up old ma-"
Ellie was cut off by Joel as he sped past her, leaving a slight breeze. Ellie was shocked. "Hell no!"
A slight rage entered Ellie's body as she realized she was losing. She sped as fast as her legs would carry her.

The pair ran at an almost equal speed, each person passing the other and then falling behind again. Races with Joel were Ellie's favorite thing to do when he wasn't busy working on the facility.

"I can see the door. I'm almost there. Almost there." Were the words running through Ellie's head as she narrowed her eyes, pushing out deep breaths as she sprinted. Joel was not far behind.
She panted and huffed, but soon realized it was to no avail. Joel breezed past her, she was still no match for him. With a final huff, he jumped over the last crate, winning the race. Immediately he bent over with his hands on his legs.
"I told you I ain't gonna lose." He huffed.
"Oh come on, you know...you would have if I hadn't...stumbled over that box." Ellie managed to say through deep breaths.
She stood there, with her eyes on Joel as she caught her breath. She remembered when she first met him, and she remembered how he was not young, but still agile and tough. He had not changed one bit.
She sat down on a pile of boxes with a thud and leaned back, breathing out a sigh. Once Joel had caught his breath, he stood up and cranked his head from one side to the other, rolling his shoulders triumphantly.
"Alright, we'd best get back now. Come on, kid." He said while gesturing toward the facility with his hand.
Ellie pushed herself up, caught her balance, and followed Joel.