Ground Zero

Estelle got out of bed, got through her morning routine. Dad and Mom were sleeping. She saw how peaceful they looked last night, so she snuck into their room. She turned their alarms off, then went over to her dad's side of the bed. "Sweet dreams, daddy." She kissed his forehead like he did every night. He loved her more than anything in the whole world. He wouldn't let anything happen to his little girl. She returned the favor. Estelle was an only child, so she was favored in the family... the family of three.

He stirred a little, then went back to sleep. Estelle chuckled a little, then shook her head and blindly walked to the other side of the bed. She turned off her mom's alarm next. She and her mom had a special bond, they were closer than any mother and daughter couple in all of Bathory. Snow had been ecstatic to figure out she was pregnant, and had spoiled her daughter ever since. Estelle always knew how lucky she was to have her mom. 

When she turned to her mother, she screamed. There was a hunk of wood sticking out of her chest. Vlad was out of bed in an instant. He didn't see Snow until he traced where his daughter's eyes were locked. He wanted to react, go hysterical, but he couldn't. Not until he was alone.

She didn't notice the note on the end of the stake. She couldn't take her eyes off her mother. When she couldn't bear to look anymore, she collapsed into her father's embrace. He just held her tightly, making sure to cover her eyes. "Estelle, it's ok. I'm here. It'll be okay." He lied. He was scared as hell, more so that he knew only a certain group of people who could do this. Slayers. Slayers in Bathory. That was not the way to start your day right.

Vlad took the note off of the tip of the stake and read it. He flushed red. It said 'Your daughter, uncle, then it's your turn.' He was scared and furious at the same time. Furious at the slayer who wrote the note. It was distinctly his handwriting. Joss McMillan. "Estelle, come on. We've got to go." Vlad thought to his daughter.

"Where are we going?" She said out loud. 

"Otis' house. We have to get out of here."

"Why?"

"Shh, don't talk. Just listen to me!"

They left immediately for Otis' house, which had before been Vlad's Aunt Nelly's house. Vlad took the note with them. He wanted Otis' input on the situation. Once they got there, Vlad and Estelle got out of the car and knocked on his door. Otis opened the door as if he had been awoken from sleep. He looked at them in surprise. "To what do I owe this amazing surprise?" He glanced at Estelle's tear streaked cheeks. He hurried them inside, as it was obviously freezing in the late December snow. Estelle went in and accepted some hot chocolate. They had absolutely no idea she was a vampire, she didn't know she was the daughter of the most famous or rather, infamous, vampire in all of Elysia. Vlad and Snow had planned on telling her early on, but they were never 100% sure that she inherited the vampire gene. 

Vlad was trying as hard as possible to stay strong in front of 6 year old eyes. A single tear dropped from his eye, betraying him. "What's wrong?" Otis asked. Vlad told Estelle to stay in the kitchen while he and Otis talked. He sat where he could keep an eye on her.  He handed Otis the note. "I found this on the tip of a stake. Snow... she... it-" Vlad cut himself off, nearly breaking down. 

Otis nodded in understanding. "She's gone?" Vlad nodded slowly through his tears. "I'm so sorry Vladimir. She didn't deserve this. No one does." Otis had a sorrowful gaze locked on Vlad. He was thinking about Nelly, Vlad's aunt who, in his senior year of high school, was killed, sucked dry, by his own father. Otis had fallen in love with Nelly, and they were engaged to be married when she died. He missed her a lot. It was obvious. "Yeah. I don't know what slipped. I'd done everything humanly AND va-" he looked back at Estelle, making sure she wasn't listening, then whispered, "vampirically possible to keep them safe." Otis looked at Estelle, and said "You still haven't told her yet?"

"No. I'm working on it."

"Vladimir, she's bound to figure it out at some point. You might as well tell her."

"We still haven't tested her yet. We don't even know if she's human or not. I have to figure out a safe and efficient way to know whether she's a human or vampire." They both thought for awhile. Otis tried bringing a few ideas, such as garlic, but Vlad shot down all of his ideas. He explained that he wanted to test her in the most harmless way, without having to make her sick or bloody or anything like that. Eventually, Otis snapped his fingers, signifying that he had thought of something. "I've got it. We make her taste test blood against something else and see which she likes more. It's harmless and effective." Vlad mulled over this idea. It was pretty solid, and she wouldn't be harmed by it in any way. He thought for a long time, and, not thinking of a better option, decided they'd try it.

They went into the kitchen, and Vlad distracted her while Otis filled a mug with hot chocolate and one with steaming A positive. "Estelle, come here. I want you to try something. Which one of these tastes better to you?" Otis sat the blood on the table to her right side and the hot chocolate on her left. She smelled the air. The blood seemed to be winning. It was calling her. She picked it up and took a sip. Her face instantly lit up.

"This is way better! Where did you get this!?" Otis looked triumphant, Vlad relieved. He didn't know why he'd doubted her. Perhaps he had hoped she would be human, so that she could have a normal childhood. He should have known better, though. It was just the human in him taking over again. "Looks like she got an A+, wouldn't you say, Vladimir?" Otis thought to his nephew with a smirk. "Very funny." 

"Estelle, we have to tell you something." His daughter stared up at him with wide eyes and waited. In a way, he dreaded telling her, for she might not understand what she was, or what her family was. He knew he had to tell her though. It worked for him growing up he ended up as well as a vampire child possibly could have, especially one as controversial in the world as he was. As he was readying himself for this huge conversation, he was cut off by the doorbell. Saved by the bell.  He went to the door and opened it. Standing there was a shadowy figure, swinging a wooden stake towards his heart. He yelled, even though he was sure no one would hear him in time.