Best Way To Start The Day

The sharp ring of the bell cuts through my thoughts. A sudden inclination to go home, throw up and never come back arises for not the first time today. Every time the damn bell rings.

But it doesn't matter, I can't do that. The bell, this specific bell that seems to control the acid in my stomach, has meaning. It starts the timer. I have 1 hour.

I dump my books in my locker unceremoniously. The bustle of the other students is drowned out by the thumping of my heart. BANG!

A body collides with the metal next to my locker. I immediately slow my movements, careful not to catch attention or seem like I'm listening. The wisp of pink in the corner of my eye tells me everything I think is happening is.

"Here now. The two freaks together. How about you do yourself and anyone who has to look at you a favour and just start being normal....or just die or something. We're not picky." I hear Cris Logan say, he and his friends sniggering. "You got that?" He asks, so close I can feel his breath on my ear. I stand, paralysed as he takes a long breath of my hair, followed by a sigh. I can practically feel his gaze travel up and down my body.

"You know, I could fix you."

"You're the one who needs fixing." West says, picking himself up. I risk a quick glance and see him wipe the slow flow of sluggish blood streaming from his nose.

The boys scoff and head off but not before knocking West back down and sending me tumbling after him.

Grumbling, we straighten ourselves up and I shut my locker.

"What an ass!" West cries. The halls ring with the sound of his open palm on metal locker . "I swear, he really is a miracle! A God-send! Someone better tell the doctors that the missing link is alive, well and procreating!"

"Come on," I say gently, tugging his hand, guiding him through the crowd of people who watched and did nothing. No one meets our eyes. "Let's get you cleaned up."

I lead him to the bathrooms and we just stand outside. Both of us make a start towards one, still firmly holding the others hand, but then stop.

"How do you wanna play this?" I ask. We wait in silence for a few seconds more.

Either choice is going to cause trouble for us. Trouble that I don't want but West expects.

"This is ridiculous!" West grumbles and he pulls me into the ladies bathroom after him.