Stolen Kisses In The Dark

I rush to the bathroom backstage in our auditorium. I dump my bag unceremoniously on the counter then plant both hands on the edge, leaning on it, rooting myself.

I look up into the mirror to see a panting wild thing staring back. A sheen of sweat on her forehead, matting down some of the long frizzy hair. Her cheeks are red and I can practically see the panic radiating from her. I take a deep breath and so does she. Shaking my head, I try to calm myself and look back at the mirror. No more wild thing, just me.

"Get a grip," I growl at myself as I clean myself up and steady my breathing. I hear footsteps nearby.

"Now or never..." I whisper, my heart hammering. My hand shakes as I reach for my bag, to hide them, I pull them into tight fists. One last look in the mirror shows that nothing I do can tame my hazelnut curls and there's that wild look again in my murky green eyes. "Just breath," I tell myself, gentler this time. Following my advice, I then slowly walk out the door.

I find my way in the dark, to the edge of the stage, right where the curtain ends. A lone bulb cast a faint light and long shadows over the open stage. I squint as my eyes try adjust but can see basically nothing. A slow, deep breath, mimicking my own, behind me has me spinning. There, stepping out of the darkness, is someone. But I can't see who, just a figure moving slowly towards me.

Fear gets the better of me as I take a few steps back, into the dim light and the false protection it offers. They move with me and suddenly they're there. She's there. Her head is pressed against mine, she raises a hand against my face only to move it and then move it again. She just stands there, so unsure of what she should do, what she wants. Slowly, I raise a slightly trembling hand against her cheek. Finally settling, she rests her hand upon mine.

"Hi," she whispers breathlessly. I can't prevent the smile from spreading across my face and my own 'hello' comes out in a chuckle.

"You came," she sighs, I can feel the relief washing over her.

"Did you think I wouldn't?"

"I dunno. I wasn't sure I would even make it."

"Well...you did....I did...." My voice trails off and my breath catches.

All I can see is her silhouette, her features masked by darkness. But I can see as she juts her head slightly, then pulls back, again and again, slowly closing the distance between us.
She only pauses when her lips brush against mine. My hearts racing, I move my hand upon her cheek to the back of her neck and brought my lips crashing down on hers.

All hesitancy vanishes. I run a hand through her hair, it's shorter than I imagined. I run an arm down her back holding her close while she cups my face, clutches my hair.

I'm so caught up in her. My heart is hammering in my chest and lungs want air but that means I have to pull by lips from hers so I just take quick, shallow breaths when I can. I am so caught up in her I don't hear footsteps nearby. Neither does she, going by her undiminished enthusiasm.

"Whose there?" A boy calls out from the darkness. She gasps, stepping back, pushing me away, seconds before the main lights are turned on.

All of a sudden, my stomach lurches. I think I might be sick. Because a few mere steps from me, trying to discreetly fix her smudged lipstick, is Tamilla Stone.

Tamilla Stone, soon-to-be head cheerleader, soon-to-be running the school, Cris' girlfriend, Tamilla Stone.