Chapter one

1

A Helping Hand

        The weatherman had predicted storms and one was definitely moving in to the area. The sky became a swirling mass of darkness and bitter chills as I walked to school. Being in the ninth grade was tough. I was constantly picked on by a group of jerks who were all about to graduate, and their reasoning was because I never talk. My day begins simple, first with Ethan, the biggest bully of the three of them, would find me and drag me somewhere where no teachers could see him. He would grab my feet to suspend me in the air, the other two watching, waiting for the sound of Rubles falling to the pavement. They would pick up the rubles laughing as Ethan dropped me. They would then kick and spit on me until they felt it was necessary to quit, sometimes sooner than others. After the pain subsided, I would usually go to class silently, but right before going to class this time, I was helped up by a strange woman who was watching me from a distance and came to help me out. I tried to say thank you, but when I turned around she was already gone.

       Class went on boring as ever, writing, math, and science, which wasn't that bad actually, lost in thought as I was wondering who that woman was. I had two of the boys in one of my elective classes. They would throw stuff and spit wads of paper at me, which by the way, the teacher didn't care at all. Every once in a while I would tell them to stop, only knowing it would make it worse. Then when you think it couldn't get any worse, lunch comes around. Usually Ethan and his friends find me to spit on or throw my food around, but today I got my food and quickly walked outside to get as far away from them as possible. As I walked to the bench I am accustomed to sitting at, I saw the woman observing me from across the road. I decided walk off campus to ask her what her name was and why she cared to help me earlier that morning.

      As I crossed the road, I felt a very odd, calming vibe surround me. She nodded and said her name was Asenti before I had a chance to ask. I accidentally scoffed at her and told her was a very odd name. She answered, "Yes it is. I have many names, but prefer this one. It seems to fit me well, if you know what I mean." She had a calm, serene voice. "What is your name?" "My name is Dimitri. Dimitri Savage." I answered looking into her marine blue eyes. She started to slowly walk forward towards the empty bench that I usually sit at. it took me a moment to regain my composure from being lost in the absolute beauty in her eyes. "I am sorry I did not stop those boys from hurting you." She said sympathetically. I could sense that she was most likely a gentle, nice person so I trusted her. "It's OK. They do that stuff almost every day." I said as we reached the bench and sat in unison.

"Do you like the dark?" She asked. "What?" I replied utterly confused at her awkwardly placed question. I felt a quick subtle change in the aura of the area from calm and serene to a dark, mysterious, almost depraved feeling. "I asked if you like the dark." she replied now with a malicious tone. "Well, I guess. I mean I've always liked the dark. Why?" I asked feeling a little bit confused still with the question. As she spoke, I could make out two small "slits" on her neck, which were askew. "The way you are so silent, it is amazing. Why is it you like the dark, if I may ask?" There was a pause before I spoke up. "It helps me escape from the outside world I suppose, where no one can see me or hurt me. Where I can be at peace with myself and the world around me, where I can see the world from a different perspective. It helps me relieve the stress of school and the annoyances of every day life." I paused momentarily, hoping for a response. When none came, I spoke up again. "Can I ask what the neck scars are from?" I asked, hoping I was wrong about her. There was no need for an answer because I could see she knew that I had found out what she was ; she was staring at me with a signature smart ass smirk.

        Quickly looking back to the time I visited America, I began to recognize her. I was visiting family at their home in New York and at night I would find myself walking down the streets, soaking in the environment. Then one night, the day before I was to leave, she was there. Sitting on a small set of stairs leading into a desolate train station. She nodded to me while I was walking past. Her stare was never-ending as she sat in silence, her dark black hair slightly flowing at chest level. The same half ass smile she was giving me at this exact moment, ever so slightly sexy if you asked me. Even the same black laced leather boots slipped over her rugged pants, made of a material I have not seen before. Her dark gray shirt, long sleeve and one single button near the neck ; perfect for covering up her marks if she so wished. I knew I recognized her. There wasn't a single doubt.

        [Edit - ADDING PART -]

         I thought to myself, "What if I was to follow her?" Knowing what she might do, I considered my options. I live under the care of my grandfather, who wants me to move out any way, I would outlive everyone I know, and I would be fast, agile, and strong enough to defend myself. The ability to remove anyone I didn't like or anyone who bothered me. Almost infinite power at my fingertips, all I had to do was get bit by her. I decided to answer her, "Hmm... I Suppose I could follow you, but where? I know what you are." I said in a quiet voice. She responded calmly, "I know, this is why I chose you. It is rare for a вампир to choose one individual to pass on our blood line."

         She rose from her seat, and started to walk away knowing I would most likely follow. I hesitated but began to get up and walk away. As I was getting up, I was shoved down by Ethan, who saw me talking to Asenti. "Who is that!" he yelled at me trying to make me intimidated. Asenti turned around and was about to go after him. I quickly pulled up a finger to signal her to stop. To my surprise, she stopped and waited. I then turned towards Ethan and my adrenaline started to pump fast. Before I realized what happened, I hit him so hard, that he was twelve to thirteen feet away from me on the floor knocked out, nose bleeding. I looked at Asenti, who was looking at Ethan. She did not look surprised at all. Her glance returned to me and she smiled. I now realized why she had chosen me to help her.