eight

The super solider, the mutant (as Skylar thought of herself), and the retired war hero made their way down the interstate with an all-too-familiar agent joining them. The group of three tracked Jasper Sitwell down and acquired the answers they needed regarding Zola's algorithm and Project Insight.

Skylar's mind mind was racing from the backseat. She thought she solved this HYDRA problem when her father died; she couldn't fathom how wrong she was. Sitting next to Sitwell frightened the young girl. The mad appeared to others as no threat, but it was the secrets he held that terrifies her.

"It's a shame about your father," The agent commented as he leaned closer to Skylar. His voice so soft only for her to hear.

"Excuse me?"

"HYDRA's little princess killing the very man who made her the person she is now? What a shame." The agent's wicked grin displayed no remorse for her, and Sitwell knew he had struck a nerve. She thought for a minute about how to respond.

"Oh is it?" She flashed a sarcastic smile, "So then you know what I'm capable of." The blaze swirled around her fingers and the expression on his face changed dramatically. Steve and Sam discussed their plans, which intern caught Sitwell's attention.

"Are you kidding me? That is a terrible, terrible idea-" Before the man could finish, he was ripped from the car, and never seen again. The group, now only with three remaining, had no time to comprehend the events ahead. As a car smashed into the back of their vehicle, Skylar threw her body into Steve's lap. A glimpse of metal broke through the windshield and tore the steering wheel from its place.

"Oh shit!" Sam yelled, unaware of what to do. So instead, and idea came to Steve's mind. He grabbed Sam pulling him with Skylar just in time as the car flipped and the three tumbled from the wreckage. Once the dust cleared, Steve and Skylar stood opposite of the infamous, Winter Soldier. Skylar lost her breath when her eyes met her old partner's.

"о мой Бог" Skylar cursed in her once native speech, "зима"

Skylar hadn't seen him in so long, she wasn't sure how tot react. The assassin didn't hesitate to fire at the two. The bomb hit Steve's shield and he was flung off the bridge. Skylar shielded her body behind an empty car contemplating her next move. Releasing the energy towards her new enemy, Skylar launched herself off the bridge and sprinted in the direction of safety. The Winter Solider took off after her. He held his gun in his grasp, taking ghost-like steps. His eyes moved swiftly in search of his Crimson Ghost. Skylar took light steps towards the soldier. Skylar knew his fears, better than anyone, and was going to use that to her advantage. But the solider anticipated these actions and spun his body towards her. With the gun pointed at her head, Skylar's body was frozen in place.

"Winter, it's me." Skylar spoke, calm cloaking her worry.

"You betrayed us, Crimson." He stalked towards her. "You left me." Her heart broke when he spoke those words. The bond the two had formed was unbreakable, she couldn't deny that.

"I couldn't stay any longer...that's not who I am anymore."

His dark eyes that held so much, stared into hers with determination. Skylar took a few involuntary steps away from him.

"I'm not going back." Skylar commanded. She shot the red haze at the soldier, just missing his shoulder. As the two continued to fight, Skylar grew weaker, and she was losing momentum. Skylar flipped the man over her body, the mask falling from his face. He let out a growl as he held the girl back. The Winter Soldier's metal arm was positioned around her torso and a gun against her temple.

"James..." Skylar whispered, the name accidentally falling from her lips.

Skylar glanced forward, and in front of her stood Steve. The look of utter shock and confusion was plastered on his face. Steve stood stagnant in his spot.