Chapter 1

As the train went out of the tunnel, it must've turned a big corner, since I was feeling a little light-headed. Well, I think it did...I mean, why else would my head hurt? I expected the train ride from Kiel, my hometown, to the city of Nark to be less nauseating, but I guess I've got my motion sickness to blame for that. I've always gotten sick when riding on any form of transportation.

I wince as the train hit something else, perhaps a stray rock on the tracks. Next time, I'll try to find a seat instead of standing. Since I just caught the last train to Nark, I had to stand, as all the seats were already taken.

I managed to find a small space when I initially got on, but I ultimately offered it to an elderly woman. It must've been natural instinct to do that, probably because I always watched my father be kind to everyone in the village, especially the elders.

"Attention passengers, we're approaching Nark station. I repeat, we're approaching Nark station."

Man, the conductor sure does have a boring voice. I'm pretty sure his monotone voice is what made me sleep every time we arrived at a stop. I have no time to ramble, I need to start getting my luggage before the train stops! I squeeze my way through the crowd of people to the luggage area.

I find my bags buried beneath duffel bags, suitcases, and bright pink bags for some reason, but I found no trouble to dig it out since the owner of the flashy bags took their luggage shortly before I made an attempt to grab my brown duffel bag.

I was in luck, because if she didn't immediately take those bags, then I would've taken at least 10 full minutes to pull out my buried bag from the pile. Because I'm not as strong as an average male my age and size, it still took me 5 minutes to successfully take my bag from the mountain of luggage that was soon going to topple over.

Being 5'7, I remember how Nani, my caretaker, attempted to reach for my face, but she was so short, that she only managed to touch my neck. Thinking about Nani still brings tears to my eyes. She has cared for me over 12 years, after my parents died when I was 5 years old. I consider her as my mother now, since I no longer remember my parents too well.

As the train starts to slow to a stop, I look out the windows, and my vision was filled with the beautiful city of Nark for the first time. It was a modern city, and each day there was something new and exciting to see, such as new people, new inventions. Some people have admirably dubbed it "The City of Progress" because of those reasons.

"We've arrived at Nark station. I repeat, we've arrived at Nark station. All passengers who are exiting, please move towards the door, but please do not crowd it."

Wow, it's almost time for me to take my first steps on Nark territory! I'm so excited! As the train doors open, I see thousands of people in the station. My eyes widen as I get off the train, I've never seen this many people before! I'm so surprised, I don't even know where to go! 

Oh, I remember now! Nani told me to out the North gate since my train arrives at the South gate. I wander around, looking for any signs pointing to the North gate. Finally, I see a large white arrow on a navy blue sign pointing ahead of me with "North Gate" written in big white letters.

I start walking in the direction of the arrow, but it shortly proceeds with many more arrows afterwards. After what felt like an hour, although it only should have been 10 minutes, I arrive at the North gate. I almost feel like all the pushing and shoving to get here is worth it.

As I walk out of the station, a gentle breeze blew at me. I take a deep breath to smell the modernization of Nark. It smells of...trash...and cigarette smoke...unlike the traditional pumpkin smell of Kiel. The nostalgic smell of pumpkins makes me miss my hometown. No, no, stop it, I just arrived! Nani would be angry at me if I keep thinking like this!

This is a brand new opportunity to learn something, to make Nani proud. Just remembering how proud Nani would be of me when I graduate from Adamant Academy, the school I am planning to attend, gives me a new boost of confidence.