Revenge - A

Here, in this hospital, my mother died due to a medical error.

An error the hospital rushed to cover and deny in the best and most monstrous way imaginable.

Ten years have passed since then and I became a surgeon myself.

Revenge was the only thing that motivated me since that day, the only thing that kept me alive and I will not stop until I see the light vanish from the eyes of the man responsible for my mother's death.

The day has finally arrived.

For years I've been waiting for this moment and here I am, standing in front of the entrance doors to the place that ruined my life. I took a deep breath; subconsciously my fingers are drawn towards my tie, fixing it.

I go straight in and the familiar smell of my childhood already makes me nauseous. I never liked this place.

I entered the elevator and pressed the third floor, leaning back as my jaws clench in a mix of pure anticipation and deep loathing.

As I walk out one of the hospital's staff is already waiting for me with a polite smile on her red stained lips. "Dr. Byun?" I nod with the same polite smile and she holds out her gentle hand, showing me the way to the hospital director's office, Mr. Park.

"This way please, sir." She spoke. "Mr. park has been waiting for your arrival for quite some time." Her voice is thinner then I thought it would be.

"I've been waiting for a long time to meet him myself." I say with a fake smile, my eyes scan the hallways.

Are the walls in other hospitals also decorated with dozens of pictures of the hospital's director?

Of course not...

I'm stifling a dismissive grin and find myself already labeling him as a hopeless narcissistic. 

A sound of unlocking a lock draws my eyes back to a double, cherry wood door.

"Dr. Byun is here to see you sir."

"Oh, of course, come on in, come on in."

As I step into his office, I can almost hear the beating of my own heart. Felt like the air around me depleted when our eyes met.

For a moment I was worried he might actually remember me.

He might recognize my features even after this amount of time.

"Doctor!" He spreads his arms wide open. "I heard a lot about you!" Somehow I manage to smile but lower my eyes when it becomes too hard.

"I am pleased to welcome you to the hospital's family, I'm sure you'll find this place suits you perfectly."

"No doubt. I'm sure I came to the right place sir." I smile warmly again. "You could say there was no other place I'd rather work in."

"I'm very glad to hear that Mr. Byun. There is no doubt your recommendations are amazing! I'm sure you'll bring me and this hospital a lot of pride." 

A light knock on the door prevented me from responding to the flow of compliments I had to take from him and for that, I won't lie, I was grateful.

"Mr. Park." Even before he received his invitation to come in, the handsome man in the white coat walked in with a warm smile on his lips. "I heard the new doctor has arrived, so I guessed it was my time to show up." He lightly joked and extended his hand. "I'm Luhan. It's very nice to finally meet you Dr. Byun."