4

Three and a half weeks later Nina Nancy and Emily were still on the trail to No-Man's land. Or well.....Indians territory. And with each mile they traveled Nina got even more nervous. As a child she had only hears about Indians in stories. And those stories she heard were not nice. They were nightmares. Scary stories. But that was mlsyly because she geard those stories from ger Master's friends. The only Indian she has ever knew about was Crispus Attucks. The slaves talked about him fondly. He was a hero. Half African and half Indian. But the white men they feared him. He was a threat to them because he was great. He was able to do one thing that everyone feared. Unite the slaves. And they didn't want that.

It was mid day and everyone was up and woke.  The sun peaked over the top of the trees and the dew on the leaves was beginning to slide down its veins. Nancy and Emily were talking to each other and Nina sat and watched as Scamp still slept. Scamp was a miracle. The little pup was growing and didn't seem as thin as before. He was gaining weight and even had more energy. He was a good distraction for Nina.

Before he was in her life all she thought about was what would happen if they got caught. Emily and Nancy would most likely be married off to some high strung white man that would beat them into submission like woman who thought they had rights in this period of age were so often put through. And Nina? What would become of her? Her mind made so many scenarios. She would be lashed and beat. She would be sold away from her mother. Blamed for outting the idea in Nancy's head. Or the worse case that was her nightmare, she would be given to the Master's son. She would be given to him as his slave and he could and would do any and everything that he pleased with her. She feared that thought the most. No she couldn't go back. She wouldn't. She knew that she would not be able to endure something so horrible as that. She had seen the women who their master took them. Too their innocents. And then kept using them. They were. No longer their selves. Her mother was one. And so was her mother's mother.

She didn't want to follow that pattern. She didn't want that life. Or the lack of one. Yes they were better off out here.

"Nina are you okay?" Nancy asked worried for her sister. She didn't like when she stared off into space like that. It meant she was thinking about dreadful things. Things she would never left happen to her.

"I'm fine." Nina smiled hesitantly before she was licked by the little mutt that sensed her worry.  She looked down and ran her hands over the muddy fur. She ignored the smell of the dog knowing that there was no possible way for it to have a bath. She was just happy it was doing better than when she found him.

"She's a smart one. She has always been smart you know. Remember when she was able to pick that lock to the candy pantry?" Emily smiled.

"Yea. Back then she was so distant. I think...her mother told her to act as such. But all I saw was a sister. Unlike my stupid brother. God I wished I could have hit him with something a little harder than a case when I think about what could have happened if I didn't get there in time. It sickens me. She was practically raised with us. Father...he let her learn with us. Despite my begging. I think he sort of loved her too. Even her mother. I saw the way he would look at her. But she never was the same after that. " I said.

"Really? Well I guess you wouldn't know. Your dad is like the richest man in the South. If word got out that he loved a nigger- I mean- I'm sorry." Emily stopped once she realized what she said.

Both her and Nancy turned to look at Nina but Nina ignored them although she heard everything they said. Sometimes he felt like a child when she wasn't. She was well into her years. She had. After all saw 20 summers. She was no older than Nancy. But she couldn't help some things like she was not taught all the things Emily and Nancy was taught. She was allowed to go to the lessons but only when her duties were done. And she hardly ever got there for longer than thirty minutes where as they sat there for nearly seven hours or more.

"Ladies I think we can stop here for a minute. We need to eat and so does the horses. And we need to rest." Emily suggested as they pulled off to the side of the road. She pulled into a brush making sure that the wagon was hid the best way it could be hid. And they took their rest.
******
Angélic turned around to see Naomi talking to another slave. Or the slave was talking to Naomi. It had been years since the two actually talked to each other. Decades in fact. She listened in on the conversation.

"Naomi o would t worry. She's better off gone away from here with the white folk." The male James spoke..

"Yes. But she's off with her. I knew she would one day get my daughter killed. She was always influencing her. I only pray that Ninet does not die out there although...death as a free Slave is better than death as a slave. She has a better chance out there then on this plantation. " Naomi sighed.

"Is that what you  truly feel Naomi?" Angélic asked.

"No Massa." Naomi quickly recovered from the shock to see Angélic standing there by a tree so close to the plantation workers.

"Leave us James." Angélic ordered and James quickly left not wanting to get a lashing for disobeying the master's wife.

"Is that what you truly think? That she is better off out there then here where she is safe" Angélic asked

"Safe? She would never be safe here. She's not even safe from her half brother." Naomi spoke.

"What are you talking about?" Angélic asked confused

"Come now Angélic. I may not have been taught by the best teachers but you learn better things when you have to teach yourself. You value it more. Why do you think Erick was hit with a vase? And who do you think k did it? Emily was always protective of her. Erick was going for Ninet. Just as your husband came for me. The only difference is that Emily saved her sister. " Naomi spoke and her voice slowly lowered it to a whisper.

Normally no slave would ever talk to their master like that but a long time ago Naomi lost respect for the woman she once called sister and was so angry at her she didn't fear her as a master though she should have. She knew that deep down inside Angélic loved her as a sister and at one point she did too but when she allowed that thing to happen there was no turning back.

Angelic looked shocked and hurt as she watched her sister walk away. It was hard to even try to forgive.