Five Hundred Shades of Blue

The light from the thin curtains shone into the lit room, right on the blank canvas that stood in the middle; the same place it had been the past three days. Kade threw her backpack on the queen size bed that leaned against the painted walls. These walls were covered with different pictures, different textures, different feelings and emotions. One wall has an evergreen tree that stood tall in a winter wonderland and snow that blanketed the picture.

This was the only painting that was never changed. The others were changed so much, the walls would have be warn out by now, but you would never know by the way she painted. Her fingers bushed against the different paintings so softly as if the paintings could feel pain. She took a step back and looked at the pictures, taking in every thing she drew from the hockey stick in the corner to the the snowflakes that were painted on her ceiling. Kade turned back to the blank canvas and sat in the stool, thinking about how to go about her latest idea. It was to paint the evening skies of the New York, the big apple, city of lights. 

After what seemed like minutes, she clasped her fingers around the paint brush and brought it to the different shades of blue that stood near her stool. She wiped her paintbrush over it and mixed it with another shade of blue, hoping it would create the right one. When the paint was mixed she brushed it onto the scarp piece of paper, finding out it wasn't right - it was too dark.  Much too dark to accurately capture the stillness of the New York sky.

"What if I try this," Kade mumbled to her self as she mixed the Yale blue to the denim.

As she wiped it over the paper again, it didn't work. This time it was too light. This problem kept her from continuing with her painting - she couldn't ever get the right shade of blue. It was said that there are over five hundred shades of blue and that it was impossible to get the right shade. She had done it before, she painted an ocean for her art class once with the perfect shade of blue, but now that seemed long off. She just  couldn't do it again, no matter how hard she tried. She put the brush down and got up, running a hand through her hair. 

"This is never going to work," Kade grumbled, falling onto the bed covered with the green sheets, which were her favourite colour. She took some deep breaths and looked at the ceiling, she remembered when she first painted it, with her dad. How time flew by since then. Now she was a fifteen year girl, athletic, independent and confident. She decided to go back to her stool and look at the canvas, maybe inspiration will come to her. As she sat there, her mind wandered as it often did. She thought about how this canvas could hold anything, much like a blank book. Thinking of books reminded her of Wattpad, a site she found herself addicted to. She wheeled her laptop desk over to the stool and logged into the site. 

As she moved the cursor to her 'works' tap, she realized that someone had added her developing story to their reading list. She smiled wide as she went to the profile of her latest reader. 

"Just_Me_Myself_I, hmm-mm interesting name" She said to herself. She quickly wrote a thank you post on  the person's wall, hoping that it would make the reader feel appreciated. She quickly got a reply from that person and it said,

"hey, im bored want to chat?"

Why not? "lol sure i am too.. hello!"

They didn't know it yet but this is when a blooming friendship grew between these two girls that were complete strangers. From hobbies to favourites to grapes, they talked about anything and everything.  Sometimes they teased each other, sometimes they vented to the other, and always supported each other.

Kade realized something about this girl, she was just like her, and it was crazy. The had the same dislikes, same attitude, religion, and so much more that she couldn't wrap her head around. She even admitted things to Just_Me_Myself_I  that she never told anyone else, not even her best friend that she's known for years.

The same day, as they were chatting, she found out that their might be love in the air for herself, with a guy she never expected it to be with. Her annoyance of reveling that little secret caused her to throw her hands up in frustration, knocking the paintbrush to the ground along with some drops of different kinds of blue. As she was about to clean it up, she looked at it more clearly and her eyes widened in shock. 

"This is it....the perfect kind of blue," Kade breathed. She mixed the paint to create a good batch when she remembered who it was that helped her with her dilemma.

She turned to the chat box and typed in, "thank you for helping me find the perfect shade of blue"

Just_Me_Myself_I replied shortly, "ur welcome????....no clue what your talking about"

Maybe she didn't, but for Kade it meant the world.

And a new best friend.