Light

*This isn't a whole book, this is only a poem I wrote*

You don't get to choose how you look when you come into this world.
You don't get to choose who your parents are or how your lifestyle will be.
You won't get to choose most things that will happen or be in your life.
But you can choose how they affect you.
You can choose how to make of the situations you are dealt.
You can choose to make the most of it instead of letting it bring you down.
I sound inspiring but even I don't know how to follow my own advice.
I say all these things to try to help people get back on their feet while I, on the other hand, saw away at my own legs.
I try so hard to make others happy that I forget I, myself, even exist.
I go around spreading joy and happiness as much as I can while deep inside, I'm falling apart.
I try to grasp on to everything and anything that could help me on my way through this dark path but I'm slipping.
I've been holding on for too long, I'm afraid I'm becoming weak.
But maybe this dark path isn't permanent.
Maybe there is somewhat of a happy ending towards all of this.
Yes, I may be roaming this dark path alone but it won't be too long before the light of day hits again and things start to change.
Don't get me wrong, this miracle of light may not happen for you within 8 hours.
It may take 8 days, 8 months, 8 years.
It may seem hopeless just roaming in the dark, but once your light hits, it will be more than worth it for the long run.