3

Dear Sultryforest, here is the book jacket I have written for David Masterson's new novel, Silver Screen.

"David Masterson is a man who lives on a wind swept hill overlooking the Pacific Ocean. He writes on an archaic Intel processor running windows 8 and fingers his glass of whiskey longingly. He dare not touch it lest his life end in a drunken squalor, but the thought of it keeps him happy as he pecks out another over analyzed sentence. He isn't afraid of much else except that glass. The perky breast of pubescent teens and rancorous judgment of his dead wife fell by the wayside long ago. She hated fiction and she hated him most of the time. But he is willing to lay it all on the line in the interest of fulfilling his dream. In writing he treads easily on the broken lives of fools, willing to expose their poor choices in a heartbeat for nothing more than an innuendo tied up in deja'vu'. He likens the smell of ozone from an old tube TV to every moment in a child's life. His mind is rot soaked in nostalgia no one understands, as if this generation has a clue what ozone smells like, but in his heart, he knows it's the essence of kings.

David Masterson doesn't have a funny bone in his body. His sarcastic wit is like dry tinder cracking in the hollows of his own pessimistic mind. Better to light a fire in the rain with no matches than to laugh at something he might say. And if there is a hint of wit, it's so far overhead that a person my think he is dole. He is a petulant old bastard if ever there was one, an heir to his father's own narcissism.

He shuffles around in his own misery like a pig in a wallow, wondering where fear comes from. He knows the answer to this question will be the answer to all his questions. Ultimate evil is a figment of Masterson's imagination, a quaint parlor trick to scare someone into reading. If a person is not afraid to die, does that make them unafraid? There are some things worse than death.

What are those things? David Masterson knows what they are. Watching someone he loves die, but if he has no love then who cares? Being tortured is no fun, or watching someone cut up a body like a slab of beef. But shadows in the dark recess of a child's mind, fear of the unknown. That's scary. Loss of your identity is unimaginably scary. The complete loss of control over one's own destiny is undeniably scary. So where does an antagonist derive his ambition? Changing the world? Controlling the Galaxy? David knows better. It would have to be more subtle, more personal to have any effect. He knows people are irresistibly drawn to the things which bother them the most. If something is wrong in the world, the inquisitive mind has to seek out and correct it. This is where evil thrives, in the prying minds and snooping hearts of its victim. It's part of human nature, which is why, ultimately, the characters of a dull novel with slow moving plot will never make a best seller."
But when someone sees a suspicious shadow in the dark, they have to turn and find out what it is. They are naturally drawn to evil.

David is terse, abrupt and confusing. He is confronted with the apathy of his own heart, as if at thirty three he had lived a hundred lifetimes. This is when he decided to expand his writing career to something more personal."