Chapter 1

Thursday

January 3rd, 2016

Nia:

"Shut yo bìtch ass up! Didn't I tell you what was goin' down if you did dat' stupid shit again?"

Pointing the gun to the head of my mother, once again, Rodney was ridiculously drunk. After a long night of celebration there was no doubt he was coming home to good intentions. I sighed softly creeping my way off the couch and back to my room.

There my four year old daughter sat watching the Cosby Show.

"Mommy?" Asia, called. "Yes mama's baby."

"Why do grandma stay?" She asks with her little pointy nose pointing in the air. The question didn't catch me by surprise, I knew someone had to ask it's just sad your four year old granddaughter was the one to do so.

"Baby, sometimes it's best to hold on. Maybe you'll be able to help that person." I tried to explain. She looked up at me. She knew I was feeding her bullshit. No woman should help a man that isn't trying to help himself. But my mother, my mother believes he'll change. She believes she'll change him. Only time will tell though.

"Mommy?" Asia calls again.

"Yes boo."

"I loooove you." She giggles.

"I looove you too smoochums. Now give mommy kisses so we can go to bed."

~

I sat up in my bed after I heard commotion down stairs. I got up and grabbed my phone checking the time.

3:56 am

I instantly became pissed. I don't know who making who stay out late but it's not fine. This is the last fucking straw. I stomped down stairs to see the two smoking with red cups in their hands and the game on the tv.

"Isaiah what the hell!? Do you know what time it is ?" I said looking at them.

"Nia go back to your room before you wake up mama." He said.

"Y'all are gonna wake up mama with all that weed and the tv is loud as hell!" I said trying not to hit him. Isaiah is my idiot ass brother that has a college degree and could get a well paying job but he claims it's not for him. Where he gets his money from? I have no idea.

"Chill out guh damn hea." He tried to hand me a bottle of something. I turned away from him and looked at August. August is my brothers idiotic ass best friend. These two are inseparable, if one got the latest pair of Jordan's and the other didn't, best believe they wearing that bitch together.

He just shrugged and took a sip of his beer. I'm so over these two. I knew they were going to wake up mama, this lady is going to come down here and beat both these dumb asses with the bottom of her ash tray.

"Whatever, once she comes down here and kicks you out," I said pointing to August. "And beat your ass," then at Isaiah, "then you bottle head assess'll know not to stay up here so damn late."

With that being said I turned my heals on and stomped back upstairs. Checking my phone again it was now four o'clock, and I had to be up in two hours. I sighed, I'm extremely tired and I'm ready to be sleep, but just as I thought I was going to lay down and sleep, the sound of shattering glass and my mothers squeaky door open filled the house. It's about to go down.

~

Friday

January 4th, 2016

August:

"Dawg yo moms ain't no joke." I said opening my locker.

"Yeen neva' lyin' I'm 19 and the lady still beating my ass."