Chapter 22

Terry, Ashleigh and Matilda were impatient.  When Sarah had arrived back home earlier in the day looking all radiant and glowing and smiling like no man’s business, they had been shocked.  Yet she refused to tell them what had happened.  All she said was to go home and that she will call them up later.  She was acting all dreamy and it was plain to see that it had nothing to do with the mirror. 

“I saw Stephen today-he’s back from his trip.”  Sarah had told them.  As if she hadn’t been wishing all along that he would steer clear from all of them.

“And?  You see Stephen and you’re all excited?  Didn’t you say...?”  Matilda could not finish the sentence because a smiling Sarah had cut her off.

“Bye girls.  I have a date tonight and it’s not with Stephen.  So get that sour looks off your faces and I’ll call you when I’m ready.”  She waved a hand to dismiss them and then she went upstairs to her room, leaving the three of them staring in confusion at her retreating back.

‘What the hell was going on Sarah?’  Terry wondered.  It was frustrating for them to wait around all day and still not know what had been going on.  Sarah was the only one who could get the answers from the woman inside the mirror. 

Ashleigh had tried several times and so did the other two, but all they saw were their reflections.  All that answered was silence.

It was now fifteen minutes to twelve, and still nothing from her.  Maybe they should go to her place and wait for her to get back.

The girls were furious.  She couldn’t keep all the gifts for herself!  They were promised.  Eternal youth, beauty, everything they deserved and everything they had been working so hard for.  They swore to get what was rightfully theirs, with or without Sarah.  They had to think fast.  Act quickly, if they were to make any deals with the woman inside without letting Sarah know.

Maybe they should go to her house now, before she returns.

They dressed carefully, for what they had planned.  Then the three eager sacrifices made their way to Sarah’s. 

Terry, Ashleigh and Matilda, all dressed up, like brand new dolls.

*******************************************************************************************************

Stephen and Lacey were standing on the banks of the river looking lost and confused.  Emily smiled at them reassuringly.  Another few steps down the path they were on; and they would have had to face the wrath of her mother.  She could see how hard they had been trying to save Sarah.  She, with the help of Esmerelda, had been guiding them, watching them, trying to make the end easier for them.  They had to succeed in this fight.  They’d come too far.  Time flowed differently here in this world.  A small fact that she had deliberately forgotten to mention to them.  Now that they were here, they would understand.  At midnight real time tonight, Katherine would be exactly halfway there, halfway to her power.  In the six hours that would follow, she would gain in strength, and by twelve-midday tomorrow, real time, she would be stronger than ever.  For her, the moon will have changed-for Sarah…that could mean a possible end. 

Because time flew by one second, and slowed the next-everything was unpredictable-nothing was certain.  These two would feel as though they were here only a short time, when in their reality, hours would have passed already.