Prolouge

It was a clear night, wind wisping through the trees surrounding the Lawbride Estate.

  Twelve-year-old Winter had had enough of his father.

He wanted to leave.

So on this night, he did.

Winter packed up some clothes, a flashlight, and a box of pictures into a dark green backpack and set off into the darkness.

He walked and walked through the quiet streets of Everett, listening to the peaceful music of the wind.

He didn't know where he was going or what he was going to do, but he was glad to have left the house where his nightmares still rested.

He realized that he couldn't walk forever, so he stopped in front of the first building he saw to the left.

The building was large and made of brown-red colored bricks. Above the door was a run-down sign that read, Barbara's Home For Unwanted Children

He approached the old-looking building and sat down on the creaky front steps.

Soon enough after, a lady with jet-black that ran to the middle of her back opened the door.

She looked down onto the little boy sitting in front of her, who seemed caught up in the stars.

She silently sat down next to him and shook his shoulder lightly.

Winter whipped his head around, startled from the sudden movement, but relaxed when he saw it was a kind-looking lady.

"So what's your name?"

"Winter Lawbride."

Silence.

The lady sighed and spoke up again.

"My names Natalie. Think you might wanna stay here for a while?"

Winter looked up at the sky again, then back to the lady next to him.

He shot her a smile and replied with a simple, "Why not?"

As they walked inside Winter started to gain a little faith that this was going to be a new beginning for him.

Indeed it was. But not the kind he was expecting.

He didn't know that his life would drop downhill in the coming years in this orphanage.

And neither did the girl, looking down on him from the sky with a smile on her face.