Bitten

The night is dark and cold, a bit of a zephyr went by as Rupert, who is eleven, walked outside shivering in his thin woollen jumper. His family just had an argument about his cousin John who is thirteen. So Rupert decided to go out side and get some fresh air. He was really hoping that this holiday was going to be a good one. Especially when he heard that they were going to their holiday house in the hills. Rupert took in a deep breath and watched the tall pine trees sway in the gentle wind, then he breathed out. Rupert's house is at the end of the pine forest, so they get one view of the hills at the back and one view of the forest at the front. The view of the hills is really good at sunset were you get a beautiful orange mixed with the lush green hills. Just thinking about it makes Rupert calm. 

"Hay there little bro, you enjoying the view?" John asked quietly, which startled Rupert. 

"why is the family arguing about you?" Rupert asked concerned. John seemed reluctant to talk about it so he changed the subject instead. 

"you be careful out here it's a full moon,"John said giving Rupert a playful shove, then went back inside. 

The clouds moved showing a beautiful big moon like a big bowl of cream. Then a howl came out from the forest. Rupert looked in the direction of the howl and decided to pass time by checking out were the howl came from.

Rupert tired and out of breath spotted a clearing where he can sit down and catch his breath, after running through the woods for about twenty-five minuets. everything was eerie and silent, the silence gave him goosebumps and shivers up his spine. Crack, a twig snapped just behind Rupert who slowly turned around to find a grey wolf with soft blue eyes and, razor sharp fangs flash in the moon light  when it growled dangerously at Rupert. Within in a blink of an eye the wolf disappeared like it was never there and just a trick of the mind. Rupert knew it was not a trick of the mind, but one thing was for sure every Instinct in him was screaming at him to get out of the woods before it was to late. Curiosity is an overwhelming thing for most people, Rupert is one of those people that gets overwhelmed by curiosity.    

  "Hay come back you can't just scare me like that and disappear,"Rupert shouted into the eerie forest.

 "get out of here before it is to late!" a soft yet deep voice echoed around Rupert. 

  "why who are you?" 

"I' am deeply sorry but it is to late, Run!" the voice answered softly as it fades away in to the shadows of his subconscious mind.  

That was it, his instincts shut his body down and took control rushing adrenaline in to his blood. Rupert races back home, branches scratching and whipping at him as he rushes by in the blinding dark. Out of nowhere a wolf with a shiny grey coat and hungry eyes lunged at Rupert pinning him to the ground and sinking it's gleaming pointy teeth in to his arm. 

After the wolf fed, the blood dripped down his gleaming fangs, licked the wound clean and  leaned down to Rupert who is whimpering. 

"your mine now, " the voice was canny and soft.  

"how dare you attack my brother I curse you all wolfs!" John raged out of the blue with piercing yellow eyes. 

" it's to late John the fever has started they have already fed. What were you thinking your pack should be ashamed . Be gone with you lot before I burn you to cinders," The phoenix yelled shaking it's firery feathers .

John collapsed next to Rupert who was shivering uncontrollably and screaming into the night from the pain, or the fever if you like.

"I warned him," said the grey wolf

"yeah well you did a good job at that didn't you, look at my treasure... my brother. You were supposed to keep them away tonight, but you just stood and watched them feast." John raged tears streaming down, gushing down like a waterfall.

"Jack I'm very disappointed. John we can't do anything about it, get him cleaned up now. I'm going to have to talk to your parents about this. I mean why is it that hard to have one good day with out a freaking mess everywhere," Phoenix said trying to be calm as he shifted into his human form. With still some fire left in him he threw a flame to a near by tree and watched it burn.   "fuck! worth it."

Phoenix and John picked up Rupert and took him home, laid him down on his bed and then argued all night with his parents trying to explain the important things without interruptions. the night was a chaotic night full of arguments and emotions but eventually everything settled down with a message left with the parents, and Phoenix walking out of the house .