ONE

This book is written for the June 2016 #JustWriteIt .

This book is dedicated to those who died in the tragedy in Orlando, Florida last June 10-June 11. I pray for the souls of Christina Grimmie and the victims who died in the anti-LGBTQ+ massacre, I pray that the families of the departed will find the strength and courage to move on. We grieve, we mourn for those who were lost , we will make this world great again. Never lose hope, never lose faith , we can make it better again together. One day, I wish , we'll start to appreciate each other for we are, our strengths, our weaknesses , our similarities and weaknesses then only we'll achieve true peace and unity.

***

Kasey Conell, a 17 year old girl who has been studying Washington High School for about 3 years. It was a school comprising of teenagers with different personalities and of different kinds, apparently Kasey falls under one of the lamest categories in school, normally classified as the nerd. She was a study freak who does nothing but bury herself in books and school works, that was until she came across Cara Mayers, the popular school girl in her senior year. She was the campus eye candy, Cara's shiney blond hair, her slim built body, the guys are crazy about her, and the girls are envious of her. Kasey would always head straight to the court after dismissal just to watch Cara play volleyball, she'd just sit at the bleachers and admire Cara's beauty. Sometimes Kasey would even find a table nearer to Cara's squad table during lunch, just so she could get up close with Cara .

"You're obsessed with her." Emily says , a little creeped out by Kasey's infatuation towards Cara.

" I don't know why, to me she's amazing." Kasey still fantasizing over the girl seated at the table ahead of hers.

"Why can't you see what a bitch she is?" Emily hopes to somehow knock some senses into Kasey's head, to make her realize that Cara is not the kind of girl Kasey thinks she is.

"Don't call her that." Kasey says in a stern tone, Emily has never heard her speak to her in that way ever since, what love does to friendship. "Why can't you all stop digging on her bad side and find goodness instead."

Emily remained silent for a few seconds, she grabs the apple on her tray and takes a bite. " Sure, you find her good, that's alright. But this is something you must realize, she isn't like you... Cara is straight." she knew that no matter what she said, it will never get to Kasey, but she was her friend. Emily just wanted the best for her.

"I know, I'm different. I...I-I'm gay, but what am I supposed to do with this feelings of mine?" There was that hopeless look in Kasey's face, it was the look in her eyes that said it all.

Well, What else can Emily do? At least she tried to tell her, she tried to help her, but she's just helpless.

Later that afternoon, Kasey goes to the court as usual, but this time it was different. Cara's teammates were there but Cara was absent. That was weird, Kasey thought, she knew that the girl never skipped her after school volleyball game. What's even weirder was the fact that she noticed some of Cara's teammates looking at her direction from time to time. She even heard them laughing around after looking away, although Kasey feels offended she tries to keep calm.

"That girl is totally into Cara." Jaquelin whispers to Gian , both a teammate of Cara.

"Is it not obvious?" The both of them laugh.

Kasey decided to leave since Cara wasn't there,but as she left the court, she spotted Cara with some other jock at the car park. She was holding hands with the guy walking towards a black Toyota car. She felt her heart break seeing her with some other guy, Emily's words replayed in her mind.

"- But this is something you must realize, she isn't like you... Cara is straight."

She knew she had no right to feel jealous, she has never got in contact with Cara, She knows nothing about Cara and she isn't even aware of Kasey's existence. Kasey stood aside as the black toyota car drove by, it was as if she was left out in nowhere. She sighed, walking away feeling so dejected, when she felt something brush against the sole of her shoe. It was a fabric material, stained with Kasey's shoe mark, she picked it up. It was a jersey, she brushed the dirt off and discovered that it was a jersey with a number 07 that belonged to Mayers .

Just when she thought she was down on her luck, something good finally happens. She held on to the jersey, feeling more alive than ever, so she quickly rushed home to get the precious piece of fabric properly laundered. The jersey was left to dry overnight , the next morning Kasey got out of bed extremely thrilled, she pulled the jersey out of the clothes line and rubbed it all over her face, imagining that she's sniffing the sweet lavender scent out of Cara. Her opportunity has arrived, she will finally get to talk to Cara.

"Emily!" Kasey runs after Emily, showing Emily the surprise in her hand.

"Cara's Jersey?" Emily was surprised, wondering how Kasey even got her hands on Cara's stuff. "How'd you get it?"

"I found it scattered along the car park." Kasey was all smiles, feeling much better than the day before.

" What are you going to do with it?"

"I'll return it to her." Kasey said feeling super confident, hoping that she'd end up being friends with one of the most popular girl in school.

"Well, all the best then." Emily said giving her an encouraging pat on the shoulder. If Emily can't do anything about it then she's just going let her be.

***

Kasey thought of returning Cara's jersey during after dismissal, so she had something to change into before she plays. Thankfully she was just in time to catch Cara along the hallway. Kasey was just 3-4 meters away from Cara and she can already feel her heart racing, she's never been this nervous in her life. She took a deep breath and approached the blonde who was returning placing her books in the locker.

"C-cara." Kasey's voice a little shaky, legs turned jittery upon calling her name.

Cara turns around to see the girl she usually sees up the bleachers, watching her every time she plays? That's strange, why would someone like Kasey even look her up anyway?