Chapter sixteen

"There's sort of an art to life's misfortunes." I speak to the group of students. "We see them as bad...inconvenient." I shrug nonchalantly. "They are...but they are quite beautiful at the same time."

My eyes catch sight of detective grace and another detective working on the case in the back of the classroom, watching me intently as if making sure I really am whom I say I am.

My eyebrows draw together but I continue on with my lecture.

"Some people just grow up in a way they shouldn't, they got the short end of the stick." I say. "Those kids unfortunately grow up to be..." I search for the word. "Let's say...fucked up."

A few snickers fill the room

"But what would the world be like if we didn't have those fucked up people who kill others, rape, beat? The world would be somewhat perfect, wouldn't it? That's impossible though.

"If you put some thought into it, those fucked up people make the world the place it is today. Beautiful. Nice. Wrong but so right. Without them...us ourselves wouldn't be the people we are today. Without people like them...we wouldn't be able to point our fingers at others and be able to call that person a bad guy and then point at ourselves and call yourself the good guy."

A kid in the second to last row asks, "so you're telling us that basically there is an art to killing, rape, and beating people."

I smile. "Do you think there isn't?"

"Of course I don't think there's an art to any of that. It's wrong." He protests

"I never said it was right." I contradict. "I was simply telling you that rape, beating and killing is what makes up the world and without those things, the good people of today wouldn't be the good people of today."

He blinks a few times as if now understanding it

"Get it now?" I ask

The boy nods slowly as he looks away from me, a look of confusion in his eye and laced through his drawn together eyebrows.

"None of you have to understand anything that I'm saying." I inform them once again. "You never do. This is psychology class...you can go all year hearing insane but true things and never understand a bit of it."

They stare blankly

"Class is dismissed."

As soon as everyone has left, I ask the detectives, "What the fuck are you doing here?" As I light a cigarette

"Your teaching skills are unlike any I've ever seen before." Detective grace comments

"It's my job as a psychologist and and a psychopath to teach them the way I teach them. What the fuck are you doing here?" I repeat my question when he dances around it

He stands up along with the other guy and straightens out his suit jacket. "It's the last day of the week."

"I know"

"Which means that Melia is going to tell you whom the killer is in two days." He replies as if I don't know.

"I'm aware. So why are you telling me this?"