1

Running from an unseen army, a girl clutched a sheathed sword closely to her chest. All the others were captured and some even met the end of their lives. Smoke still clung to her clothes and only one foot had a shoe on. There was no time to pick the other.

The trees were unforgiving, scratching and clawing on her dress and her knees bloody from stumbling more than she could count.

They were coming closer and closer. Her heart was pounding loudly at her chest and her lungs burned. She had to find the portal. Lifting her necklace, it was glowing a faint blue light that was growing hotter every second.

"You can't lose this necklace," her grandmother's sweet voice echoed in her ears. It was a ticket to finding the Hero. The Chosen one who can rid of all the evil things that was happening to their country.

She felt a small wave of relief. Finally she was close but her legs were soon to give out.

She kept running, the hooves of the horses were growing distant.

Looking back, she saw their torches still lit, she can't have her guard down. They were still out to kill her.

Running faster this time, she didn't notice a root above the ground large enough to make her stumble.

Crack.

Dread spread through her stomach. No no no no no. Catching her breath and her clothes soaked in sweat, she looked at the pendant.

Fuck.

A huge crack was on the center of the pendant.

Standing up even when her knees felt like jelly now after abruptly stopping, she continued to walk, hugging the sword closer for comfort and eyes still on the necklace.

Keep on walking. She took one step, two steps forward. The crack grew bigger and bigger. Trying hard so that her hands won't shake. She tried running again, but the pendant broke. Shards of it were scattered on the ground and she went down desperately trying to pick them up. Tears started to fall from her eyes. It was all over and she failed.

Sitting there, hopeless, she began to accept her fate. There was nothing left to do and she couldn't find the Hero to save them all. She was tired, and she was hungry. Lying down on the ground she began to cry again. Tears watering the soil.

The ground began to shake, and the trees began to dance. And move. Then, she was enclosed in a circle of trees that swayed. The shaking continued until the ground she was sitting on broke. Unable to stand and run away, she sat there as the ground swallowed her whole.